Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Am I the only

BOWSTRING

person to get there butt kicked 5 days straight?

It started friday afternoon with the youth season, Sat out on some public land where I usually see some turkeys and near some roosting areas. Didn't see a bird. Then I go to unload the boys gun and it wouldn't eject the shell. So 20 minutes later I got all 5 shells out. Come to find out when I took his scope off the ejector fell out sometime.

Saturday we got up and took his now single shot out. Heard quite a bit of gobbling on the roost but nothing when they hit the ground.
We did have a jake come by but couldn't get a shot cause like always they never do what you want.
In the evening we sat by another roosting area thinking something would come by. We had a hen almost climb in our hideout and a jake again in the wrong spot.

Sunday we pritty much chase everything we roosted the night before off before light and that pretty much ended his season.

Took 12th and 13th off and my start was more of the same. I had 2 different birds within 40 yards but both evaded the arrow.
One took a left instead of a right giving me a shot, The 2nd got to 40ish and just wouldn't come in any farther and like always came in where I wasn't expecting and couldn't see the decoys. This was the only bird I heard gobble that wasn't roosted.
Hopefully this weekend will get better.

Good luck to everyone!!

I haven't even been able to get out yet due to work/kid commitments. Talk about chomping at the bit!! I've got some time carved out starting Friday through early next week. I'm sure it'll start heating up for you, the few guys I've talked to outside of IW haven't been knocking em dead either.

i've hunted every day-night during first season so far. had 2 gobblers comming in yesterday morning till they seen the decoys and hung up about 80 yards. same thing this morning with 4 different toms!! i duno if i should get the pretty boy out or just not use a decoy because it seems like the jake with 2 hen decoys just aint getting the job done! so i got tonight and all day tomm. to try and shoot something in the face ;-)

You are far from alone. I just got back Monday morning from south Texas and I had what amounted to 2 full days to hunt this year, which involved 4 days' round trip driving to get to south Texas and back for those 2 full days (Fri pm, all Sat, Sun am). The birds weren't turned on yet, they flew down off roost and shut up on the neighboring ranch (no access/permission) and I had to dodge a couple of illegal immigrants that were potentially more heavily armed than me and my 11-87! When I finally got a nice big Rio tom's interest, he hung up at about 65 yards. I'm guessing the 20+ mph winds had the dekes moving too much and he didn't like the looks. I'm officially done for the season and trying to choke down tag soup. Be thankful that you have more opportunities for when they do turn on and don't live in a state with a lottery for turkeys! If not for the expense of my TX trip and my daughter's birthday next weekend, I'd skip over to NM and buy a couple of OTC tags. Alas, I'm relegated to living vicariously through everyone else on here this turkey sesason. GO GET EM!!

Top Bottom