Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ambush site for mature bucks?

loneranger

Ladies and Gentlemen hunters,,I have a question about a proposed stand placement. I plan on tilling up some ground and planting clover and rye this late summer. The spot is on a fenceline on the edge of a large field, that is secluded from view. There is good cover and bedding spots on the other side of the fence. A good trail comes from there and crosses the fence now. There is a good tree for a stand on the fence line. Is it a waste of time to put a stand at the edge of a food plot, and expect to see a mature buck enter the edge before dark, during the RUT? I know it is better back in the cover, and there is cover back of the fence a ways, but when you set up back away from a food source you are always sitting there thinking,," I wonder if a doe came out to munch from another direction and is in that clover right now, and a good buck is checking her out and I can't see it." Is sitting on field edges a waste of time during rut? Or is it better to sit back on a well used trail going to the field? I haven't had alot of experience sitting on field edges. Thanks from the Lone Ranger.

i have had good luck during the rut the last two years on field edges with corn and bean stuble. both were shot in the evening at about 5:00 and both times I had climbed down from my stand deeper in the woods and shot from the ground.

You should glass the field during the later part of the summer to see if and where a potential mature buck is coming into and feeding in the field before setting up.

The thing you have to consider is how a mature buck will use the wind in his favor when entering a food plot. Often times, they will scent check the field for other deer (and predators) before walking out into the open. You may set-up on the down-wind side of a field thinking you can't get winded, and the buck may have you pegged without you even knowing it. Mature bucks are a different animal and very rarely not use the wind in they're favor! The rut is the one time you may be able to catch them making a mistake!

Top Bottom