Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ames Bow Hunt Suspended

kbgibby

Threebeards
After failing to show at any of the meetings were an urban hunt ordinance was discussed and passed, a group of Ames citizens suceeded in getting the Ames City Council to halt the hunt until further discussion can take place. People are apparently afraid for their children and pets in the parks. They should be more afraid of the deer, particularly when the rut is on.

The problem is so far is that the City has only issued one permit so they aren't affecting a large group by suspending it. However, it sets a bad precedent and paints bowhunters in a bad light if people are allowed to promote erroneous views of hunters shooting at anything that moves ... as if an urban bowhunter could possibly mistake a person or a dog for a doe at 20-25 yds. The city didn't help matters when they offered free blaze orange vests for people and pets.

I thought about writing a letter to the editor, but it might carry more weight coming from an IBA "official." I'm sure you guys have more facts and figures to support your claims.

Here's the story that appeared in last night's Ames Trib.

10/11/2006
Council suspends deer hunt
By: Jeff Raasch

Deer hunting in Ames has been suspended 10 days after the city's first-ever deer management program began.
By a 4-1 vote, the City Council voted Tuesday to make the move after receiving a petition signed by more than 500 residents protesting the idea, which allows bow hunting in city parks.
The exception is a Boone man who has already been issued a permit to bow hunt in parts of East River Valley Park. City Manager Steve Schainker said the rules do not authorize him to revoke issued permits.
The council decided to invite a previously established task force to the Oct. 24 council meeting to revisit the issue. Task force members included representatives from the Iowa Department of Natural Resources, Iowa State University and residents who urged the council to initiate the program. Other residents will be allowed to provide public input.
Ideas expected to be discussed include: Limiting the bow hunting to the early morning hours, starting the season later in the year and removing Emma McCarthy Lee Park as a hunting zone.
A group called Ames Citizens for Non-Lethal Urban Deer Management started the petition. Group members said Tuesday that wildlife-vehicle crash data from the Department of Transportation shows most accidents occur along U.S. Highway 30 and U.S. Highway 69, away from the four hunting zones set by the city.
"There is a conflict between the data we got and the data emerging that needs to be addressed," Councilman Riad Mahayni said.
The group called for Emma McCarthy Lee Park and Moore Memorial Park to be removed as hunting zones.
Other areas that were eligible for hunting included: Inis Grove Park, parts of East River Valley Park, a wooded area near Squaw Creek south of South Fourth Street and a large area along the Skunk River in northeast Ames that includes Homewood Golf Course.
None of the hunting zones include any private property.
Councilman Matthew Goodman seemed supportive of revisiting the issue, even seconding the motion to do so, but voted against the idea.
"My feeling is that we've come to the conclusion with a great deal of rationale, in my mind," Goodman said. "I think the petition shows concern ... but I certainly don't want to make changes without talking to the DNR, without talking to the same people who were there when we first discussed this issue and devised this plan to correct this problem."
The group suggested fencing as one alternative to bow hunting. If bow hunting is allowed, the group asked that a long-term plan be in place for future stages of the program.
"While we were petitioning, we heard from children who were no longer able to go to Emma McCarthy Lee Park due to safety fears," member Erica Fuchs said.
Mahayni also voiced concern about youth soccer programs in the parks where bow hunting was allowed, including McCarthy Lee Park.
"I would be a concerned daddy," Mahayni said. "My kids played there when they were kids."

Advertisement
Click Here!
Jeff Raasch can be reached
at 232-2161, Ext. 343,
or [email protected].

I am a member of the deer task force for Ames. This whole process has been getting more disgusting as time goes with the misinformation that has been put out there by the group against the hunting. The people involved with the task force has given the council stacks upon stacks of true facts and information. We have followed rules and regulations from other cities that are being successful with hunting in parks. The biggest problem we are facing is fear vs fact. Here is a instance of what the anti's were using to get people to sign their petition that was presented to city council this week. I was out at JAX this weekend working with people with the archery proficiency testing and one of the anti’s was there. She said she was there to learn about archery. But we had some conversation and she stated that they were circulating a petition and were saying that bow hunting was being done 24 hours a day 7 days a week (totally false information) just to get people to sign the petition. The DNR law which is what is being used is ½ hour before sunrise to ½ hour after sunset. The DNR RSO was there and he also heard this same statement as well as a few others including my wife. We stated that what they were saying was incorrect and her response was “yes I know, but it is getting the soccer mom’s to sign the petition”. The other thing that is going on is that no bowhunters are getting permits and tags to hunt but there are good explanations behind that as well. I have been dealing with some of hunters that are interested in doing the hunt but have not gotten a permit yet. I might be able to shed light on why only 1 permit has been sold from what I have heard. First of all since the ordinance did not pass until almost Oct 1, Story county had 500 antlerless tags available and many of these get sold to bowhunters. So with the bowhunters having at least 2 tags (regular and at least 1 antlerless) before the ordinance was passed they are going to try to fill those tags first before attempting to get more through the city (I am in this category as well). I did do a proficiency test last night with a gentleman that was going to get a permit (unfortunately he can't now). The other thing I have run into is that people have not taken a bowhunter safety course to qualify and since it is not mandatory for the entire state there are only a few classes given a year across the state. The class given in the Ames area was in September in preparation for the ordinance as well as serving the Des Moines urban hunt area. The cities that have early openings see more permits sold because hunters can go out early get a deer and fill their freezer with meat (it is also good for the bowhunters to stay in practice for the regular season). With all the urban hunts occurring around the state the need for more certified bowhunter safety instructors is growing. So if a person wants to help get certified. We are not giving up on the urban hunt here in Ames.

Travis,

Thanks for shedding some light on this. I figured there were a number of factors affecting the number of permits sold, but I hadn't thought of all of those. I would be interested but don't feel proficient enough or trust my equipment enough (even if I could pass the test) to make a "guaranteed" quick kill shot so a doe didn't wind up in a yard or on a public trail. We really don't need that kind of exposure. I think that is probably also holding some potential hunters back.

The council may have the facts, but it's public perception that needs to be influenced here. If there's anything others of us not on the task force can do to help, please let us know.

One thing that disturbs me is the parent that put their child up there and made them talk. What a load of bull!! I would never make my daughter do that.

Travis
I can only speak for myself, but you hit the nail on the head. I had fully intended on participating in the Ames hunt, just to help make it a success. I have other places I can go, and tags in my pocket to harvest a doe with a lot less hassle. I know hindsight is 20-20, but in retrospect Emma Mcarthy Lee park shouldn't have been included. I think that's the neighborhood where the anti-hunt petition originated. The "problem" area where the residents asked for this was in North and East Ames along the Skunk River. That area could be hunted without notice from joggers or dogwalkers. I would never have hunted in those little parks anyway. The first person strolling nearby and the hunt is over. One question for those of you that do city hunts in other towns. Does Des Moines or Cedar Rapids promote and distribute orange vests to their citizens so they can avoid being shot by bowhunters? Talk about creating an environment for fear.

We are working on eliminating the questionable parks. I did not know the size of the parks (I did ask) when they were set up otherwise I probably would have said something earlier to the task force. The city parks and rec got the vests on their own without consulting the deer task force before doing it. Everyone on the task force is very upset with that as well. There is a buffer zone set up so bowhunters will not be within range of any maintained trails unless they are not following the rules.

Travis,

You are absolutely correct on reasons for limited hunter participation. I took the bow hunter safety course in September that you put on at the Ike. I was set to go on the Ames hunt, but everything drug out for so long that I began hunting other areas. Also, finding time to do the proficiency test has become difficult. I suspect next year will be a much better turnout, and hopefully a more clear picture of regulations, season dates, etc. Thanks for working hard on this.

I appreciate the words of encouragement. I have been work my backend off to get this passed and working. I haven't even been out hunting yet because I have been so busy. I have even thought about resigning from the task force but my stubborn side has kept me going. I had been doing the proficiency testing at JAX but right now I have canceled the times I had scheduled. I also had a list for people to sign up for a bowhunter safety course but that is also up in the air. As soon as this foray is over I will be setting more proficiency testing times up and may still do a class so check with JAX or just email me. Right now I am going to step back and DO SOME HUNTING. If things go okay the urban season was going to run through Jan 27 so if you fill our tags early keep your eyes peeled. I will try to update as I can. If anone can please attend the Oct 24 meeting at city hall at 7pm.

Top Bottom