Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

And so it begins.....

Fishbonker

Life Member
The 2012 legislative session started today. Two bills were introduced that are of interest to deer hunters. They were introduced by Representative Nate Willems of Lisbon, House District 29.

HF2003:http://coolice.legis.state.ia.us/Co...info&Service=Billbook&menu=false&hbill=hf2003

I think this bill is a step in the right direction and I would encourage you to support this bill and I would also recommend that you put as many trail cams out to catch trespassers with sheds as you can. One picture is worth several thousand in liquidated damages for the State and/or your sheds back.

HF2007: http://coolice.legis.state.ia.us/Co...info&Service=Billbook&menu=false&hbill=hf2007

This bill was introduced a couple of years ago and either got buried in committee or kicked to the DNR for rule making/hearings. There have been some posts about the progress of this proposal in the general forum.

Thanks for keeping us updated Tom.

I agree. Thanks :way:

If we can somehow make the trespass penalties MUCH more stiff, it would be a huge accomplishment, and I feel allowing a dog to aid in the recovery of whitetails would be a good thing as well :way:

http://coolice.legis.state.ia.us/Co...info&Service=Billbook&menu=false&hbill=HF2026

24 This bill requires the natural resource commission to issue
25 special hunting licenses, wild turkey hunting licenses, and any
26 sex deer hunting licenses to nonresident disabled veterans for
27 use on hunts conducted by nonprofit organizations that conduct
28 hunting experiences in the state for disabled veterans.
29 The commission is required to verify that an applicant for a
30 special license is entitled to a service-connected disability
31 rating and that the license will be used in connection with
32 a hunt conducted by an approved nonprofit organization
33 that conducts hunting experiences in the state for disabled
34 veterans. The commission shall adopt rules specifying the

Any thoughts? comments?

Fishbonker, was the first bill passed? I don't really stay updated on things like this. I would really like to see this go into affect on the account of tresspassers in my area.

Any thoughts? comments?

Well, it looks like a sound and tight bill. Lots of checks and balances to try to stem off any abuse. Then I got to section 2.c. If the premise of the bill is to give disabled veterans an opportunity to hunt with a non-profit group, probably for free, why make the DV or the non-profit pay for the license and fees? If the bill is intended to reward a DV for their service and sacrifice to our country, then let’s let them hunt for free if all the proposed rules in the bill are followed.

Is there something here I’m missing? An unintended consequence that I can’t see? Well, I didn’t see a percentage of disability. I knew a guy in the 70’s that got partial disability for acne. Perhaps something about the percentage of disability required to qualify?

What is the best way to track and watch what is going on? Is it worth creating a account on the Iowa Legislature website? Will I be able to find all I need on there? I'm assuming that's where you and Randy are getting these? Thanks

As far as 2026 goes... Yeah, I have to agree with Bonker. Just let them register somewhere and issue them a tag. They've earned a free pass imo! I guess we are probably just being to nit picky though. Letting them hunt here without a draw is a win and a good start. Thanks for posting this Randy :way:

Fishbonker, was the first bill passed? I don't really stay updated on things like this. I would really like to see this go into affect on the account of tresspassers in my area.

Please join IWF and you will get updates on a lot of these bills when they come up. :way:

i'm trying to see where outfitters, or other people could miss use the DV tag for personal gains. i agree with what others have said, disabled vets deserve a tag, i just don't want to see this be something that can be exploited.

RE: HF 2003
H.F. 2003 confinement for no more than 30 days or a fine of at least $65 but not more than $625 or by both. A person who commits trespass for the purpose of taking the shed antlers of a deer is also subject to a civil judgment for liquidated damages based on the size and value of the shed antlers taken as measured by the Boone and Crockett club’s scoring system for whitetail deer. The judgment may also include a community service requirement. The return of shed antlers that were wrongfully taken to the place where taken or to any other place approved by the commission constitutes a discharge of any liquidated damages. Any liquidated damages received under this provision must be credited by the treasurer of state to the state fish and game protection fund

I had a call from a DNR official regarding the scoring of sheds. The bill mentions scoring by the Boone & Crockett scoring system. But B&C has no category for sheds and it includes inside spread which of course you can't do on sheds. Perhaps there needs to be some rewording of this bill to exclude spread or use NASHC (North American Shed Hunter's Club) scoring system.

I think this bill is a step in the right direction, but in order to prosecute under the B&C score of the stolen sheds, the investigators will have to recover the sheds. My guess is that even a photo of the thief with sheds in-hand will not be enough to prosecute. Is DNR really going to get a search warrant just to look for a few sheds? I doubt it. Plus, it says that if the thief returns the sheds to the site where stolen, they can avoid prosecution. My guess is that the misdemeanor trespass charges would still stick, so that's good at least. Under current law you can't do anything legally even if you catch someone hiking around your property looking for sheds.......unless you can prove they actually picked-up sheds from your property OR if you can prove they were previously warned not to come onto your property. If not, they get a "pass" for the first offense..... In 2010-11 my trails cams regularly picked up 2 guys trespassing on my farm. I highly suspected they were shed hunting. I called and told them to stay out, and followed it up with a certified letter (with copy to local DNR). Then, I got one of them again. Even though I'd "planted" a 75" shed in view of the hidden trail cam, and had crystal clear pics of him stealing that shed, DNR said they could only cite him for the trespass ......unless the shed was found in his possession. But then they wouldn't search his home for it!! My point is I see this continuing to be the issue if this bill 2003 passes, i.e. DNR won't be getting warrants to search a guy's home/garage/barn/vehicle just to find a few sheds.

Top Bottom