Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

And the DNR says

H

horst

I picked this up on another site where theres a debate going on about mountain lions in the state.This guy called and asked one of their biologists abot them, heres what he had to say, Im actually getting kinda bored with the subject but this has some pretty interesting facts in it.

Tuesday, January 13 2004 @ 04:42 PM CST

Ok, I took my own advice and talked to the DNR today regarding Mountain Lions in the state of Iowa.

I called 1-641-357-3517 at 3:45 pm on Tuesday, January 13, 2004.

Here is what I was told:

Until very recently most Mountain Lion sightings in Iowa could be traced back to a pet that escaped or was lost by its owner. Only recently, and in just three documented cases, three young male Mountain Lions have been found in Iowa that could not be traced back as pets. Of those three, 2 were shot and one was hit by a car. All other Mountain Lion sightings in Iowa can not be confirmed because the lion has to be caught before thay can determine where it came from. Tracks do not help because they cannot confirm a lion as a lost or esceped pet, or as a roaming wild animal.

The three that have been documented were all males. The best conjecture said the DNR is that they were dispersed from their original areas by older and stronger dominant males. They were wandering in search of food and ended up in the Midwest and Iowa because of the abundance of natural food, ie; deer.

He said that out west, because of anti-hunting groups, hunting pressure on Mountain Lions has decreased and their number has increased. There is not room for all of them and the younger males get dispersed from their area by the older males and have to look for food elsewhere.

The DNR officer I was talking to was in the Furbearing Biologists office of the DNR. He was the man who answered the phone. He said he was not Ron Andrews, that Ron Andrews was not in the office today. He wanted that to be clear.

He said the following is his opinion, not DNR opinion. He believes Mountain Lions will not grow in number here and will remain an occaisional anomoly. That is there will be occaisional sightings. He said that because the three that have been documented were all males he does not see why they would want to stay here without females. Iowa is a good place for food for Mountain Lions, but is a poor place for their social life and they will get lonely for female companionship. Without little kitty Mountain Lions there would be no way for the numbers to increase here.

Oh, and he did say, "We did not bring the Mountain Lions here! That is just a rumor." I didn't even have to ask him, he told me that the very first moment we talked. I told him I understood that, then he shared the information I have shared in this post.

Again, the DNR can only document three male Mountain Lions. Tracks do not not make documentation possible. An actual lion makes it possible to determine if it is a true visitor to the state or a lost or escaped pet. At this point in time that is an important distinction to be able to make.

That was direct from the horses mouth. I was pleased with how open the DNR officer was and how friendly he was considering the rumors etc. He took his time with me and answered all my questions. I told him where I lived, my name, and that I was a hunter and fisherman. I believe what he told me and have no reason not to.

It makes perfect sense to me.

Bob

i'm with you horst. quit beating a dead horse. good post.
waytogo.gif

Muddy, i didnt really post this one to start that argument up again, i just thought it had some good information in it.I personaly guesse i didnt realize all the lions killed so far were young males.Also I didnt know the young females didnt get run out of the area the way the young males do, I thought they were also run out to avoid inbreeding but apparently they dont travel as far or something.Also I knda pictured these cats as solitary animals, I wasnt aware they wouldnt stick around if there wasnt any females to breed with.Makes sense I guesse to insure the survival of the species but i didnt know itfor a fact.Really the only reason I posted it was cause I found it kinda interesting, we argue so much about it in here the facts get distorted and things get made up so often i thought it might be a good read for both sides seeings how its coming from an outside source.Beating a dead horse was not my intention LOL.
30570-chair.gif

Good post Horst! Lots of good information and confirms that we're not being overrun with cats.

Threebeards

Ok, try this on then. I spotted one on a sunny day in June as I glassed a nearby hill for deer. Needless to say I about came out of my shorts. This cat was only about 250 yards away and I yelled at my son who was a little ways off doing what kids do, what ever that is. When I yelled the cat casually turned and headed for a nearby tree line. I continued to watch the hill hoping for another look and after several minutes further up the hill and along the same tree line I see a much smaller cat and wonder I have been seeing things. The more I replayed the events the more confident I am that I saw a large adult mountain lion and a cub. Everybody roles their eyes at me and I questioned the sighting briefly myself, because it’s hard to believe your seeing what your seeing here in Iowa. I am confident in what I witnessed and it was on the Middle River in Madison County.

The firing range is now open. Have at it.

Ironwood, Im not doubting your story any.But if there was a cub involved in your sighting its possible the mother was someones pet that got let loose.Apparently that happens in our state more than you might think.I watched a show on keeping big cats as pets on tv awhile back.In Iowa apparently all you need is the $$ for a permit from one of the states Agriculture depts and you can keep a cat as a pet, anything from a bobcat to African lions.Were one of the most leniant states there is for this, theres no records kept, no inspections, nothing.So some people get bored with thier "pets" and turn em loose with no chance of being caught for it.

Another interesting thing on that show was you can buy these animals right off the internet and theres so many in captivity now compared to the demand for em you can buy em for nothing, they had one website advertising an African lion cub for 450$ I believe it was, figure might be a little off but if it is its on the high side.

Anyway, just some more interesting little facts I thought Id share LOL, I apologize, I read and watch Discovery way to much
brick[1].gif

While I believe young males are the ones that are most likely to wander in Iowa, I think it would be a mistake to believe that a wild female lion won't eventually wander into Iowa and make a home.
It seems that it is not always just Young male lions that encounter people. Someone sent me a picture that supposedly is of a male cat over 200 lbs that was shot near Stover Missouri recently. If this is not a hoax, that 200 lb cat is an adult. Stover is central Missouri, and maybe cougars are not a new thing there. I really do not know.

IaCraig

my ? is can every mountain lion people see be an escaped pet? NO! some have to be wild, just like bears and bobcats, they have been moving east so why not Mountain Lions?

huntn4life88
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif
sniper.gif

p.s. I've heard of atleast 3 that have been spotted in southern iowa other than the one that was shot by promise city, one says he has trail cam pictures....i'll see if maybe i can get ahold of one of them somehow.

Top Bottom