Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Another climber Question?

B

Bowdon

Chrsj I have bowhunted for 38 years and have sat up in trees on limbs, home home stand, protable stand and about four our five years ago got me a API Grand slam climber stand and it got to be one the best stands I have ever hunted from. I can move around on deer better and sit in it all day. I have a truck load of protable stands I don;t use any more. I have never had any trouble shooting out of it sitting or standing. I have made some changes on it one is to put a bungie core on to hook them togetter, it help to pull the bottom up when climbing. I also put a fork like bow holder on it so, my bow is alway right buy my hand ready to go if one gets close to me with out me seeing him comeing in. I'm getting older and I fill a lot safer siting in it and have now taken a lots of deer out of it and also some nice bucks. I shot one this year that was almost strieght under me and I was sitting.

Don,

They must have changed the design then, there is no way I can shoot sitting unless maybe it is way out from tree. Thanks for the info Don.

It hasn't change any. I just lean over the side sittng and shoot. Mine has the rail around it too. Short bow help but I did have a 38 inch bow last year and shot three two buck and one doe sitting. the buck I shot this year was only about 8 yards from my tree and also on my right side, I'm right handed so had to turn around in the sit to shoot no time to stand up.. The arrow went in about two ribs in on his back and out right between his frount legs and he only went about 40 yards and drop dead. When I got the stand I thought the same as you but, after shooting out of it there was not problem for me any way

Chris. I have a Summit Cobra XLS. I've used it 2 years now and I will never use a different stand again, unless it is given to me for field testing. My Summit is light, packs together much more effectively than my buddies API, and it is quiet. My friend bought an API climber this year and it is a very nice stand, infact it's the next best thing to a Summit. If you get a chance try a Summit, I know that you'll like it.

API Superstar is what I have. The front rail that you sit on while climbing can be taken out when you get up into position. Works like a champ.

Chris,I bought a Summit Viper.It has the rail and I thought it would give me trouble.It hasn't bothered a bit.As a matter of fact,I sit on it once in a while to look behind me.I shot my 10-piont and he was behind me.I shot a does that was directly below.And had no trouble.Maybe you should pratice some out of it to get used to it.Good Luck

Chris,

I have a Bear River with a barkbiter belt instead of a chain that goes around the tree. I use it almost exclusively now, I like the flexibility of setting up according to the wind, etc.

My is the nomad archer series and the seat doesn't have any bars on it. The gun series has the bars on the seat. There is no reason to have to sit on the bars when climbing as far as I am concerned. I love it, but recognize it is not the best of the climbers. I use a ratchet strap on both the seat and platform to keep them from moving when in position.

Anyway you can remove the bar, maybe cut it and have a welder rig a bracket so it is still useable when you want. Or rig it so it can be lowered out of the way.

I have a Point Blank and all it has done is convince me I don't like climbing stands.
Anyone interested in it?

I finally got a climber this year after much looking around and talking to people. I ended up getting an API grand slam supreme. It is a nice stand, works well but, I can see where having the rail is a negative. I have to make a consious effort to not hit it with my bow, which in hunting situations is no good at all. What stand or top climber with no rail do you folks think is the best and safest. Thanks, I am thinking I may stick to my tried and true portables for hunting and the climber for scouting.

I have a Bear River Noman too with the barkbiter and love it but,at my age it's hard to climb with. It hurts my shoulder when I pull myself up. I like the bar in the frount to sit on to pull my feet up and like some one said it nice to sit on the bar to see around the tree some times too. I have shot archery to many years and have bad shoulders and elbows. Some day you all will know what I'm talking about in 30 are 35 years.

Bowdon, That truck load of protables you don't use anymore. Want to unload some of them? I have about 10 portables and could use a few more. Been pickn them up cheep from Gander (floor models) that are missing parts and I replace them. Work great but still need about 4 more.

I too am looking for a climber for next year, from what I have read above I think I may be in the market for an API Grand Slam. Those have the netted seats dont they?

Great infro from everyone.

If you want an inexpensive one I have a climbing Starr with the tree grips, weighs only 16 lbs. and seems to function good. Natchez catalog has them for under $150. this month. They have alot of good specials on hunting supplys every month. Al

I also have a summit climber that I may want to sell. My wife bought it for me some years ago for $140, yeeah wives like that are rare, my son may want it but I use three ladder type leaning stands that are light and easy to carry and move I'm getting older and it's getting harder to climb with the summit. I would probably want at least $75 it is just like new yet. I'm close to that Stoddard guy, Lansing. Hey Hannibal MO guy did you ever know Lowell Greening from Hannibal? Mo, WI thought this was an IA site.

OLETOM

None of the API's have netted seats, those would be the Ol' Man Treestands. Ol Man's are a great stand but can't get on as big of a tree as an API. But they also fold down much flatter than an API. My vote is still for the API though.

Chris,

I have an API Grandslam that I bought 3 years ago. I did have a problem with the front rail because I had the seat part sitting too high. I like to have it so it is easy to stand up out of, but when I do that the rail is pretty high too. I had a decent buck coming in and drew back on him as he was walking toward me. As I followed him in my sights waiting for him to get into my shooting lane he walked too close and my bow hit the rail. I missed that opportunity. In the end though it was good luck for me because the next day I set the seat part a little lower and I shot a nice 120 class 8 pointer right below me.

Long story short, try setting the seat part a little lower, closer to the standing part.

Thanks for all the comments, I did do the lowering of the seat, the problem is to be where I can shoot well I sacrifice comfort, I may get an open front upper portiong and cure the problem. Thanks !

Top Bottom