Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Another hypothetical question

turkeyriver

PMA Member
Let's say you own, lease, or otherwise have exclusive rights to hunt a great piece of property. A old buddy of yours decides to begin videoing hunts to sell for publication. He begs and begs and you finally agree to let him tape you on a hunt. A non-typical 2 year old buck comes up the trail. He has a drop on one side and lots of other junk growing on his rack but would only score mid 130's tops. Remember, he's only a 2 yr. old. Your buddy BEGS you to shoot him on film. He offers you a thousand $ to take him. He offers to take you to Saskguy's backyard next year on a hunt. What would it take to get you to shoot that young buck with so much potential? What's YOUR price. Not sure what mine would be.

I would never except money to shoot a deer!!!!!!!!!!

I would kick my friend off my land for even considering it.....

If he wanted to video me, then he will video the deer I want to shoot, not the deer he wants me to shoot.

Just my $.02...

I want to know who is paying $1000 for footage of 130" deer, because I'm not getting that kind of money for my footage!

I went through this very thing in the 2006 season. I let a mid 150's goofy racked buck walk by at 5 yards and 15 yards in hopes of smoking his 180-190" buddy. Although I saw the bigger deer twice that season I never was able to close the deal. I guess now that I look back I (could) but I won't say I wished I would have shot the 4.5 year old mid 150's buck. I know my cameraman wasn't too happy with my choice though. Although I didn't harvest a buck in 2006 it was by far my most enjoyable season in the deer woods ever!

Over the years I've watched good 2.5 year olds grow into tremendous 4.5-6.5 years olds. If by the way you are happy with him at 2.5 by all means shoot him, just don't shoot him for the sake of getting footage!

I wonder if you were hunting on the cameramans property if he would want you to take that 2.5 year old 130" non typical deer just for sake of video?

Chris

In the last four seasons on my 40 acres in Se Iowa, all I have seen is 2 1/2 yr old bucks,,One I am quite sure was a 3 yr old.If this is not typical on 40 acres,,then I must be doing something wrong,or I need a different spot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nacho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I would kick my friend off my land for even considering it.....
</div></div>

no you wouldnt...... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

putting a video together takes sacrifices...... very few hunters are cut out to run the camera

i commend the guy for trying.

if you wanted to stick by your management practices that is very fair, and no one can blame you for it. But killing one 2.5 YO for the sake of a video wont hurt a thing /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

not to stray too far from the original topic, so hypothetically, i fully understand where the camera man is coming from but dont think the money is a necessary bribe. that would be my only gripe about the situation

$1000 bucks!! that would pay for 10 tanks of gas I'd kill him /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif But I have never had land like that to manage but if i did maybe my thinking would change.

Not much of a friend. Friends don't usually put their agenda ahead of yours.

Now, which friend am I taking about? The camera man or the hunter? The friendship argument goes both ways.

I would like to say that I'd kick his ass to the curb, but I can come up with too many "what if" scenarios where the right thing to do would be to help out a friend and shoot the deer.

I would have to be in that situation to know how I would react. How good a friend? Is he a mere acquaintance or was he the guy you sat up nights with drinkin beer and solving problems?

The 'Bonker

pretty dang good friend if he is willing to pay you 1000 bills for you to fill a tag.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

i wouldnt have thought twice.....

although, id have to say, id pay a $1000 to film bonker again....
well worth the price of admission

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pretty dang good friend if he is willing to pay you 1000 bills for you to fill a tag.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

i wouldnt have thought twice.....

although, id have to say, id pay a $1000 to film bonker again....
well worth the price of admission

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

I guess I didn't read the post close enough to see the 1K. Sounds like friendship dues to me. Ask yourself if you would do the same thing for free, because that would be friendship. The other way would be a business arrangment where there is no such thing as friends.

As far as you filming me again, anytime, just don't let your sweat drip on me next time. And it would be free, cause thats what firends do for each other, even though I'm well worth the dough.

The 'Bonker

Screw the camera, I think I read drop tine! I'd shot a fawn if it had a drop!!!

But that is just me!

Filming is a lot of fun, and it being the cameraman can be tough, but ultimately it is the hunters choice. If you were just out on a one time hunt, then it is definetly your choice! If you were on his staff, andhe was taking you all over on hunts, then he may have some say in your hunts! Until you get the salary, enjoy the hunt, on film or off!!

But back to the hypothetical question! If it was me hunting, My buddies would be over right now watching the video of the DROP TINE BUCK I SMOKED ON FILM!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!

Hate to say it, but I would prly get talked into it. Not for the money, but my adrenaline would prly get the best of me.

Top Bottom