Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Another kitty in Iowa

A link on I S said it was a very large 160-180 lb male....sorry not smart enough to post a link :confused:

It's a bit scary if your around it. My lease in Kansas last season had the 6th confirmed mountain lion sighting the year before. He was there multiple times in trail camera and seen whe hunting. Nothing like knowing you have a literal mile walk in, no cell service and your bowhunting. Not to mention it's not like a bear that usually triggers attacks by starling them. These things hunt you! The DNR advised us to carry our handguns(even though Kansas has weird conceal carry laws compared to Indiana) while hunting and eliminate the cat if we felt threatened!

It's a bit scary if your around it. My lease in Kansas last season had the 6th confirmed mountain lion sighting the year before. He was there multiple times in trail camera and seen whe hunting. Nothing like knowing you have a literal mile walk in, no cell service and your bowhunting. Not to mention it's not like a bear that usually triggers attacks by starling them. These things hunt you! The DNR advised us to carry our handguns(even though Kansas has weird conceal carry laws compared to Indiana) while hunting and eliminate the cat if we felt threatened!

I can see where its scary if you're not around them all the time, but its simply not true that they hunt you. I live, hunt, hike, camp, and fish in mountain lion country for almost 15 years and in all my years, have only seen three (2 for sure, one possible) and that's more than some who have lived among them way longer than I have. My first one was a female with cubs that let me walk up to within less than 30 feet of her. She was very upset and let me know it, but never once charged me or attacked me. Was I sacred? ABSOLUTELY! She actually let me walk out of the area and never followed me. I've come across fresh tracks, scat, scrapes, and kills (lion was watching me mess with its kill, but I couldn't see it). Yes they have attacked people, but its way more rare than most people realize. I've even had them follow my tracks just to see what I was, knowing they are still curious cats. Not at all trying to start a debate about whether or not mountain lions are or aren't a threat. If its facing you crouched, its a threat. If you ever feel threatened defend yourself. I'm just offering some education about them and please ask that they aren't made them into something they aren't.

If I was to shoot one in Iowa, it would be because I was getting a cheap hunt in: no tag needed here.

I wouldn't be shooting it to "protect little kids" and the other inane justifications people use.

I can see where its scary if you're not around them all the time, but its simply not true that they hunt you. I live, hunt, hike, camp, and fish in mountain lion country for almost 15 years and in all my years, have only seen three (2 for sure, one possible) and that's more than some who have lived among them way longer than I have. My first one was a female with cubs that let me walk up to within less than 30 feet of her. She was very upset and let me know it, but never once charged me or attacked me. Was I sacred? ABSOLUTELY! She actually let me walk out of the area and never followed me. I've come across fresh tracks, scat, scrapes, and kills (lion was watching me mess with its kill, but I couldn't see it). Yes they have attacked people, but its way more rare than most people realize. I've even had them follow my tracks just to see what I was, knowing they are still curious cats. Not at all trying to start a debate about whether or not mountain lions are or aren't a threat. If its facing you crouched, its a threat. If you ever feel threatened defend yourself. I'm just offering some education about them and please ask that they aren't made them into something they aren't.

I'm sure it would be different if I was living around them. I have been told you don't see a cat typically unless they intended to be seen. I don't think they are bad animals at all, but not meant to come in contact with humans either.

Top Bottom