Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Another knife

Shovelbuck

Gotta tell you guys this....I can't thank those of you enough that sent me Osage and Mulberry pieces! I've gotten so much use from that wood.
I was out in the shop a couple Saturdays ago and came across a knife blank that I had roughed to shape a year and a half ago. So I got after it and by evenings end I'd finished this knife. Pretty similar to the ones from two summers ago. I don't claim these to be your "Sunday Go To Meeting" knives but they are good work horses. The type of knife that you can gut your deer, wipe the blade off on your pant leg and peel a bunch of taters with. A working mans knife!
I've got a primitive bone knife planned for the next build then I think a large bowie with Osage handle will be on the list.

1_-_Copy1.JPG

2_-_Copy.JPG

gun&bag.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shovelbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a primitive bone knife planned for the next build...........</div></div>
<span style="color: #FF0000">Oh sure, so where did you get that idea!!!!!!! </span>/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Great looking knife Jay, you do good work. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

pawlinebrown.gif

feathers3.jpg

PM
Ron Wyllie
Southwest Iowa IBA Area Representative
[email protected]

2 questions.

1, what kinda steel, somehting exotic or just some random piece you picked up?

2, do you use any kind of adhesive along with the brass rivets to hold the wood or just the rivets?

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shovelbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The steel is from a two foot, 100 plus year old buzz saw blade.</div></div>

Are saw blades from that era the same steel throught the blade? Now days and I don't know for how long, the hard surface of the tooth is actually welded on so the body of the blade can be a softer steel. I'm not sure if I am using the right term here, but would the maker of the saw blade have tempered the whole blade or just the tooth area?

Very nice piece of newly made old history.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Are saw blades from that era the same steel throught the blade?</div></div>

Yes it is. I reharden and temper when done.

That looks great Jay! Lots of talent in those big hands! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Full Quiver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very, very nice work Jay! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif </div></div>
Me too. Another thing of beuaty for sure.
2thumbs.gif

Top Bottom