Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Another misguided editorial

HighJumper

Have you guys seen the editorial from 1-6-05 Des Moines register? Its another shot at explaining how another 2,000 non-resident tags will help reduce the deer population, help the overly tempted out of state poachers, generate the 1.8 that the IDNR has its eyes on and increase tourism. The article depicts the trophy whitetail resource that we have as a wasted business opportunity rather than a righ cultural resource for Iowans. There is an obvious political push going on to achieve the goal of expanding NR licenses. No discussion in the editorial about other ways to manage deer herd or generate revenue. Can this forum serve to organize us like minded residents so our voices can be heard? How should sportsman opposed to increased NR tags fight this effort? Is respondint to the liberal rag register a waste of time? Seems like there is some consensus by residents on this site that the continual additions of NR tags is going to change our sport for resident hunters. If the regular guy in Iowa gets priced out of trophy hunting in the future the quality of life here has taken a major dive in my opinion.

Highjumper
Iowa Bowhunters Assoc. There is no group in this state who has fought harder to maintain the quality of deer hunting.
If you are a hunter in this state you should belong to the IBA,not just a bowhunter all deer hunters. I can assure you the IBA is watching all the propaganda being put out and when the legislature starts up again and the sub committees are decided on, the IBA will be ready.
When a Register reporter like Rob Borsellino has an article on deer hunting you know something is up.Sorry, but I doubt if Rob could tell the difference between the nock and the broadhead of an arrow. There have been more articles in the DM Register about deer and deer hunting in the last 10 days than I've seen in 3 yrs. You have to ask yourself why?

I know this will set off some of our non res friends and some res hunters but here I go. The IBA stands for the Iowa Bowhunter, we are not a national group,we will continue to fight for what is BEST for the hunters in this state. How long to you think this dedicated group would last if we gave up and said let every person who wants to hunt Iowa come on in.
How many other states with bowhunting organizations have policies any different than the IBA. Not just a bowhunting group,no matter what organization you belong to they should stand up for what their membership wants.
As President of the organization,I can tell you no group of people works harder than the board of the IBA. I will not apologize to anyone about the stance the IBA has taken, and until the membership tell us differently, we will continue to fight for the Ia. hunter. The hunters in Ia are no different than the hunters in any other state, we just want to protect what we now have.

Please support the IBA, if you are not a member sign up today.

I welcome any replies to this post, but you'll not get an apology from me.

Randy Taylor

waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
As President of the organization,I can tell you no group of people works harder than the board of the IBA. I will not apologize to anyone about the stance the IBA has taken, and until the membership tell us differently, we will continue to fight for the Ia. hunter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you Randy and the IBA for all that you do
waytogo.gif

If your not already a member of the IBA take a moment and join online!

waytogo.gif

They have been listing deer vs. car collisions in our local paper for the last few months. Not in the police / fire section, but on it's own. They include the assessed amount of damage also. I'm guessing the insurance co's might have prompted this.

shrug[1].gif

Where I grew up in NY the insurance companys control our QDM, They let you shoot as many deer as you may wish as long as someones tag is on it, absolutly pitiful. Support IBA if you don't want insurance companys overrunning your deer herd like they did to me in my home state...

The IBA just grew by one. This forum has been great. Don't feel totally alone as you watch special interests try to pimp us out.

I have always saved my loose change. Every day I'd throw what was in my pockets, change wise that is, into old peanut butter jars. Over the years I have used this as my "toy fund". I'd wait till I had a couple of big jars full of coins, take them to the bank, cash 'em in and then go buy a "man toy". Usually the fund was spent on tools. I "cashed in" a little over a year ago and bought something, I can't remember now what it was but it was way cool I'm sure. So I've been thinking of what to use my current jars full of coins for. A couple of things have been on my want list. I've wanted a good .22 pistol and Browning recently came out with a new Buckmark Hunter that looked really great and was something I could use to shoot tree rats with. The other "want" was made clear a few weeks ago when I had to help the Mrs. 'Bonker rearrange the front room furniture. From my favorite chair I used to look out a picture window onto a field where I'd see turkeys, deer and the bird feeders that were always busy. Now all I see from my comfy chair is an empty wall and the TV. So I need something for the wall. I thought a hunting print of some kind would be nice. But tonight, after I read the post from Elkhunter, it became clear. I want a State where the individual hunter has a say. I want a State that is not blinded by the perceived need for the almighty "tourism dollar". I want a State where insurance companies don't control the deer herd. I want a State where a reasonable number of Nonresidents are welcome to hunt. I want a State where the "family hunt" is as important as the "family farm" and I want that State to be IOWA.

Tonight, to that end, I became a Life Member of the IBA.

If I can do it, so can you.

The 'Bonker

PS, I guess I won't forget what "toy" this crop of coins went tword.

Nice job Bonker,

Been wanting to do that for quite a while myself. My pennies are slowly rising in the jar. There's really not a lot of life members, should be easy for ya to find your name on that list.
waytogo.gif

Well said Randy. I look forward to seeing you in Des Moines in March. As soon as I get the money saved, I will be a "Lifer" too.

Good Job Bonker! Go for one of many prints that larry has at the Banquet for your wall. Very nice post!

Randy,

Well said and thanks again for all you other dedicated IBA'ers do to support bowhunting in Iowa.

Bonker,

Way to go man! What a great example to set.
grin.gif
Welcome to the IBA lifers club!

Old Buck

In the 20+ years that I"ve been a IBA member I haven"t always agreed with the way some things were done.Hard to make everybody happy 100% of the time!
grin.gif
But bottom line is the IBA has always and I mean always been there for the bowhunters and hunters in Iowa!!They are and have been the voice for the bowhunters in Iowa (member or not!) for a long time.If you like your nice long bow season -THANK THE IBA!If you hunt with a bow in Iowa and are not a member,be very ashamed!!! Thanks Randy and all those who were there before You!!!!
waytogo.gif
waytogo.gif
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom