Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Another Mountain Loin

Shovelbuck

A friend emailed this photo to me and I wish I could give credit to whoever the lucky person was that got the pic. I don't know who but it's a heck of a photo.
f73c87c6.jpg

I beleive this deers time here is short.
Thought I'd also explain the word "Loin". Lion was misspelled on our game and parks forum a few years back and it just sort of stuck with us. So now a bunch of us Nebraskans call them mountain loins.
grin.gif

Great shot. I have to tell you though, with my dislexia, it took me quite a while to figure out what you were talking about with the "loin" "lion" thing. My brain just made them both lion.
grin.gif
Oh well. Thanks for the photo.

Matthew

This is a really cool picture Shovel. It looks to me like they are both walking. If they were walking, you couldn’t tell me that the buck didn’t know there was something following right behind him. Every time I’ve seen cougars hunting on tv shows or in books they always charge their prey. But it doesn’t look like a photoshop job. If they were running wouldn’t they be blurry?
confused.gif
I don’t know anything about trail cams, so I don’t know if a running shot would be this clear. It’s an awesome picture though!
waytogo.gif

Shovelbuck you are killing me
30577-rotflmao1.gif
That is an awesome photo.Yeah,I would have to agree that that deer is not gonna make about another step and the lights are goin out.

The more I look at it the more they look like the could be running
shrug[1].gif

Looks like both back legs are extended back on both the "loin" and the deer.

Great picture! Too me, it looks like the cat is just creeping along and getting ready to pounce on him. Thanks for sharing!

Looks like by the way he is crouched he is getting ready to pounce.I think too as keen as their senses are that the buck would have to know that he was being followed.

I saw that picture this morning on another website. The general opinion was that it is a creation of photoshop. I think so also, and if it is, it is one hell of a good job. I just have a hard time believing that that deer wouldnt know that that thing is right behind him. Hell, they seem to be able to hear me blink my eyes in a tree 20 feet above them!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Cool picture but I think there is no way that a deer would let a big ole cat like that get that close, i mean it happens but the deer is usually dead meat when the cat is that close, stalk and pounce, that's what they do, not trail. I have to say photoshop but cool regardless.

Looks real to me. I agree with Scout. Both back legs on the "loin" and the mulie are extended. The cam may have just caught the cat after a missed pounce and the chase that followed.

A one in a BILLION picture.

I agree that this is a good picture, but it seems that the picture may have been altered. The concensus of the other hunters on here is also mine. I do not believe for one second that the deer would not know that the mountain lion was not that close. The deer is not even in any sort of alert status. The tail is down, instead of up, which tells me that the deer has not idea the lion was behind him. I say him because you can see part of the right side antlers. It also appears that the shaddowing is a little off around the lion. I would be curious to find out if this picture is the real thing or just an attempt to make us believe it is real. Where was this taken?

The photo seems to be inconsistent with what I undestand about mountain lion behavior. They will typically stalk prey to within about 50 feet, and then sprint the remaining distance to pounce on their prey animal. In my opinion, this photo is an altered image.

It does look like both the back legs are extended, but if you look closer, it looks to me like only one leg on the ‘loin’ (the right leg) and possibly on the buck too (his right haunch looks like it’s moving forward.) Also if they were running wouldn’t the ‘loin’ have some curve in his spine and more muscle definition? The bucks tail looks like a mule deer, they don’t raise them when they are alarmed do they? If not, that would explain the lack of the tail being raised.

For you trail cam savvy types, if they were running wouldn’t they turn out blurry? Or if you set the shutter speed so a running animal would be clear, wouldn’t that change the focus of an animal standing still or walking, which is what most cam shots are?
smile.gif

I can't imagine the cat sneaking that close behind the deer without the deer knowing and being spooked. It doesn't look like a running pic to me either. I wonder if the cat already got ahold of the buck and he is that tired. Maybe the cat is going in slow for the kill since it knows it will be that easy. Photo looks good, but I think anything these days can be doctored. I would have to agree with cat, about it being a mullie. Interesting...
waytogo.gif

If that pic was real I'd have to believe that there would be accompanying still shots of the kill site from when the guy went to check his camera.
There should have been fur and blood all over the place within 50 yards of that shot.

Bukket, he may not check his camera all that often. I try to go ten days or more between checking mine. This does not look touched up if you blow it up and inspect all the edges. If it is fake it is very good.

Very interesting and cool second picture. But nobody answered my question on wether or not the picture would turn out blurry if animals are running??? I would think that it would?
confused.gif

Top Bottom