Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Another nice horn

Shovelbuck

Every time I see one of my friends latest powder horns it makes me want one. Hopefully, one of these days I'll get one.

That is a mighty fine horn indeed! I know a couple of guys here in Iowa that make horns and do all the schrim shaw and I can't believe what they can do free hand. I have made 2 horns, but nothing nearly that nice, and know how many hours of scraping, fileing, sanding, and polishing go into them before you even start the schrim. I am surprised with your talents that you haven't tackled making your own yet.

I've made my share of plain horns and could probably do some basic carved ones, but the scrimshaw is another matter. Through the years I've messed around with it but never could get it right.
Here's a piece I did years ago on imitation ivory and as you can see leaves a lot to be desired.:eek:

DSCN0455.jpg

Here's a piece I did years ago on imitation ivory and as you can see leaves a lot to be desired.:eek:

Holy Crap, Shovel! That's way too much modesty IMO. As nice as your friend's work is, and not to slight his work and talents, I'd pick your piece there over his. I look at your work and it fits well with lots of personalities I know, including (especially) mine. If you ever do one and think its not good enough, send it my way! :way:

Thanks, but you are too kind. My great friend and mentor that passed away in 1999 was a world renowned scrimshander, and trust me, mine is bad! Very Bad! Maybe I'm too picky because his work is world class. I have a piece of Bob's work and I'll try to get a photo of it to post.
You guys have me inspired though. I've got a couple horns out in the shop and I may just have to give it a go.

IMHO, Shovel, after seeing your friend's work, I think you are comparing apples and oranges and you are pretty much the only person to ever accuse me of being too kind. I do like your friend's work and think its great, but yours just jumps out and appeals to my taste. I'm the kind of guy that would rather look at grafitti than a Renoit painting, though. I think it jumps out at me because my dad's old Ford (mine now, since repainted) had a custom painting on either side of the cab that resembles your work. It was a hillbilly holding a rabbit and a pistol on one side and on the other, the hillbilly was holding the rabbit and the rabbit was holding the pistol. If you ever do anything with that, I call first dibbs!

Top Bottom