Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Another reg question

firepoggy

Here is the scenario:

Driving down public gravel road. As the vehicle crests a hill a coyote is standing in an open field 40yds from roadway. Passenger says stop so I can shoot that yote. Driver keeps going and says no because we don't have permission to hunt on their property.

The argument is you can hunt from a public ditch and have the legal right to retrieve game on private property by leaving you gun and straight line blah blah blah......

But, can you legally shoot an animal that is clearly on private property?

I'm curious for more opinions......this has gone round an round for a few days at the water cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

What's sad is that it wasn't very long ago that you could shoot across property lines or at least it wasn't spelled out in the regs. I think someone needs to remind my neighbor that shooting across the line is illegal. At least he finally got the picture when I dropped a tree and that blocked his shooting lane. Now the stand is gone and moved down the line over looking his other neighbor's property.

Also illegal to shoot from the vehicle or the road way, and much of Iowa you can't shoot a single bullet or slug from the road ditch or any where from fence to fence, only shot for birds or bunnies in the ditches. You only have the "right" to retrieve game that has been shot legally and then went onto private land. In this case if this person had shot the coyote while both he and the coyote were in the ditch and he was using a shot gun with shot shells and the coyote crossed the fence and died on the private property he could then go retrieve it, but certainly not if he shot it on the private land from the truck window with a rifle.

Well my coworkers are sticking to their guns that it is legal. Thanks for the input.

Your coworkers need to get a clue if that's what they think. Tell the to read the regulation book. The answer's in there, not at the water cooler at work.

Ur coworkers are ignorant then. It is private property that means no hunting without permission. So if a giant deer was on that same poperty in their eyes they can take that animnal legally? That is stupidity and in my fear they are not able to be educated which is worse than ignorance. Where are the morals of your coworkers. Sounds like jerks to me!

State of Iowa considers it trespassing if you take game from anothers property without permission. AKA shooting from public or property you have permission to be on and taking game from private land.

So if I understand this correctly, if I was driving down the street and saw a coyote standing in your co-workers drive way I could stop and shoot it and then just leave my gun in the truck and walk over and pick it up in their front yard. Is that what they are sticking to their guns about? How do they feel about walking and chewing gun all at the same time?

bowmaker said:
So if I understand this correctly, if I was driving down the street and saw a coyote standing in your co-workers drive way I could stop and shoot it and then just leave my gun in the truck and walk over and pick it up in their front yard. Is that what they are sticking to their guns about? How do they feel about walking and chewing gun all at the same time?

Pretty much. Thankfully the issue has not come up again as it got a little heated last time we talked. Their stance at our last conversation was "if it isn't legal, how can you hunt pheasants in a ditch"? We agreed to disagree and left it at that.

Why trespass?

Pretty much. Thankfully the issue has not come up again as it got a little heated last time we talked. Their stance at our last conversation was "if it isn't legal, how can you hunt pheasants in a ditch"? We agreed to disagree and left it at that.

Your co-workers are probably the same guys that end up on trail cams trespassing. Simply tell them to hunt public ground or ask permission on private land it really isn't that hard to figure out.

Top Bottom