Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Another Youth Hunt Brother Double

Jethro

Well my two boys and I were blessed with another beautiful successful opening day Iowa youth turkey hunt double. Thursday afternoon we arrived at the farm and set the blind up in the same spot they had doubled last year on opening day. It’s an awesome set-up at the end of a row crop field, kind of in a bowl with a big hardwood ridge to the south, and a hill to the north in CRP. They always roost at this hardwood ridge we were set-up on. Friday morning we were in the blind at 5:15 am with anticipation of the morning to come. At 6:32 we heard the first gobble and then another. They were well within 100 yards. Close enough I could hear them spitting and drumming on the limb. The boys were jacked to say the least. After I let them warm there vocals up I gave a few soft purrs and clucks. They both immediately cut me off. Perfect I said to the boys. I laid the call down and waited for them to pitch down from the tree. 15 minutes later we heard the one fly down and then right after the other one and I watched them land to the S.W. of us still in the timber. They both began gobbling at everything that made a noise. I softly yelped and they both cut me off again and I watched the lead bird turn and walk right toward us with his buddy in tow. They got half way down the ridge and saw the decoys and the lead tom gobbled at us again. We kind of lost sight of them behind a deadfall and the fence line. Several minutes had passed and we hadn’t heard a peep out of them. Patience I told the boys (and myself). After a couple more minutes passed I cut on the call and they both gobbled back at me except they were going away from us. I waited a few minutes and yelped and clucked softly again only this time they were about 40 yards out. Then we saw them, both in full strut and walking the same path along the same fence that the two toms they shot last year had strutted in on. They were 31 yards out. The guns were up and safeties were off. All they had left to do was cross under the fence. The lead tom dropped out of strut walked under the fence and his buddy right behind him. At twenty yards I whispered to the boys “On the count of three.” “Are You Ready?” With heavy breathing and gun barrels shaking they both said yes. I counted one, two, three and at 7:18 a.m. the 20 gages barked simultaneously. High fives and hugs in the blind were exchanged and I sat back down in the chair to relish the moment as I watched them both run out to claim their prizes. We were blessed to say the least.
Jarretts bird weighed 18 lbs. 8 oz. 9” beard and 7/8” spurs. Jeds bird weighed 21 lbs. 2 oz. 9 ½” beard and 1” spurs.
picture.php

Jed and his bro with his bird
picture.php

Jarrett and his bro with his bird
picture.php

This is what it is all about!
picture.php

Just like last year, I could feel the chills going up my spine as I was getting to the pictures. The feeling a dad must feel when he shares something like that with his sons is truly what life is all about. The pic of the two boys walking away put a lump in the back of my throat when I thought about the day I will hopefully experience something similar with my 2.

Congrats man, love your posts every year.

:way:

Great story and pics! You are right, that what it is all about right there! Congrats boys!:way::way::way:

Top Bottom