Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Antelope Down!

Liv4Rut

Had a good time in Nebraska over the weekend. Very tough hunting with quite a bit of pressure with muzzleloader hunting but we managed to take 3 goats out of 7 guys. The numbers seemed to be way down from previous years and the drought was horrible out there this year. Talked to a guy that got 3200 round bales of hay last year and this year he only got 54.

Saturday night I decided I would shoot anything that came in and figured I could spend the rest of the trip sitting in the blind with buddies. Right at last light a doe and fawn started heading into the water hole I was sitting on. They came in fast and I forgot to shut the window behind me. When they got to the water at 60 yards I pulled back and the doe saw me and spooked. She bolted and stopped about 100 yards away blowing at me. I wasn't too upset since I still had a day and a half left.

A couple minutes later I see this big black thing running at them. I looked in the binos and it was a big skunk with his tail up. The skunk got their attention and it seemed like they forgot about me. I closed the window and here they came again. It was super dark in my blind at the time. She got about 10 yards off the water and I ranged her at 78 yards. I had practiced this summer out to 80 so I drew back but could not see my pins well due to the blind. I let down and turned on my sight light.

I pulled back again and settled in on the sweet spot. Everything felt good and I released and followed through. 2 seconds later I heard the huge thump signalling a solid hit. She ran up on the hill about 100 yards away and stood there about 10 seconds and all the sudden flipped over backwards. I was pumped!!
982-dscn4431.jpg

My buddy Shep (Deernut on here) Shot this goat at 62 yards out of the same blind I shot my doe about 4 hours before I did. It was a great shot and he smoked him. He had 13.5 inch horns.
982-4_281665.jpg

My brother inlaw Josh also shot a great buck. This story is kind of crazy. Two weeks ago he had never shot a bow before. He found out we were going and he said he wanted to go. We all thought it was a little crazy but my cousin gave him a bow and he bought some arrows and started shooting. He was a natural shot and shot very well. This buck came in to 42 yards and he smoked him. It was awesome!! It had 13 inch horns.
982-josh.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job Mike. Why didn't you do the pose where you hold it by the back legs like you did that bambi from the plant? ;)

Nice job Mike. Why didn't you do the pose where you hold it by the back legs like you did that bambi from the plant? ;)

I got fat and out of shape. What can I say...... I am not sure what the antelope weighed. Maybe 80-90lbs.

Good job Mike! What kind of reaction did you get from your herd of decoys? Did you use one with movement?

I honestly didn't use the decoys much since i shot my doe so quick. I had them out the first morning and had a buck and 3 does at 100 yards that appeared to be coming my way and then some guy came walking out in the pasture with a muzzleloader and spooked them. After that two more guys came in on the other side of the pasture and the goats were to spooky to come in.

My buddies used them and had instances where goats would come right in but for one reason or another they never got a shot. Josh shot his buck with the decoys out. He had them out 30 yards behind him and the buck was 40 yards on the other side of the blind. The reaction seemed to be if there were does with the buck the does did not want to come in. If there was lone bucks they would come check them out.

When we got out there my plan was to use them a lot but then we found there was only a few water holes open so I thought we mines well hunt them since water wasnt plenty. I have been told not to use decoys at water so I didn't. Next time I go though I will definitely have the decoys as I believe they work.

The biggest issue was muzzleloader season started that saturday. there were guys everywhere taking pot shots off the road and driving all through the pastures. you couldn't sit anywhere without seeing people. The goats were on edge. next time I am not going during muzzleloader season.

Top Bottom