Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Antelope / Mule deer

Blaster

PMA Member
I know there are a lot of you that have gone on hunts for other game then Whitetail. I was thinking of broadening my hunting horizon and maybe trying to tag a Antelope or Mule deer in the next couple of years. Any advice on how to go about planning a trip like this?

Plenty of opportunities all over to bag either one of these animals with little advance planning. Especially if you just want to take an average specimen. Now if you want a great chance at a trophy caliber animal, a little more research might be warranted.

Check with LIV, if I remember right, he went on an antelope hunt out west last year and he bought the tag right over the counter. I've been giving this a little thought myself.

read lots.....get videos, talk to experienced hunters....
thats how i did it!!
i killed a buck antelope with my bow a few years back....
that is tons of fun...

Picture a 1000 acre cut bean field with no hills and no timber for miles. now picture setting 1 big Turkey in the middle of that field. Now picture you trying to kill him with nothing but a bow.
grin.gif
That my friend is antelope hunting.
blush.gif
By far the hardest animal I have ever hunted and the most physical hunting I have ever done as far as running goes for very long distances.
grin.gif
I think if you really wanted to get them, you would want it to be hotter than heck outside and find a good waterhole, otherwise it is tough. I got lucky and stumbled across a dumb one.
grin.gif

Not to nitpick, but if you want to hunt antelope, you'll need to go to Africa or something, cause all we got here are pronghorn. This is a little pet pieve of mine. Kind of like the difference in horns and antlers. Pronghorns are not antelope. Just thought I would pass that along to ya'll
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Pronghorns are not antelope. Just thought I would pass that along to ya'll
grin.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Really??? I thought they were (by no way do I know anything about them). I really did think that a pronghorn was a type of antelope. I know that pronghorns shed their horns, so do true antelope shed their horns?

As far as I can remember, pronghorns are the only animal to shed horns.

By the way, if my memory serves me correctly, pronghorn are more closely related to deer than antelope, biologically. But I have been known to be wrong before.
grin.gif

I know alot of people that go out to hunt them call them goats, just wondering if they really were goats or a cervid.

My cousin and I went to Wyoming twice hunting pronghorns. Its been a couple years, but I remember reading that WY had more pronghorns than all the other states that had them combined, or something like that. At any rate, theres plenty of them there. If you get on their website you should be able to pull up some pretty good info such as draw odds and harvest success rates on each unit. Then we contacted a couple CO's and biologists in those areas to see what we could expect for numbers and size of bucks, they were very helpful.
Once you narrow it down to a couple units you can order BLM or USFWS maps which show you what is public and what is private. We didnt have much trouble getting access since the ranchers get part of your tag which they can turn in for cash.
We both killed bucks in the 14"+ range on the 1st day on both trips (rifle hunts), and saw literally hundreds of antelope. Spent some time hunting yotes after that, their everywhere out there. Saw a couple nice muley bucks too, didnt have a tag though.
frown.gif

Antelope is a pretty easily doable DIY trip, IMO. They are fun to hunt, just remember that if you find a local who wants some of the meat, give him a BUNCH! They aint exactly corn fed beef.

[ QUOTE ]
I know alot of people that go out to hunt them call them goats, just wondering if they really were goats or a cervid.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember right, they are their own unique species and arent directly related to anything else and also arent a true antelope. Anybody know for sure?

They are their own unique species. The whitetail is a distant cousin. Everyone calls them antelope, including most state DNR's and others that should know better. I have heard them called prarie goats, speed goats, but I don't think they're related to goats at all.

I watched alot of Marty Stouffer's Wild America as a kid. Now the reruns are on every Sat. morning here and I TIVO them and make my son watch them with me.
grin.gif
Probably my favorite show ever, next to Andy and Barn
grin.gif

I just read that pronghorn outnumber humans in Wyoming. Sounds like thats where I'd go if I wanted one. We have em here in KS, but I was told not to waste my time trying to get one here.

[ QUOTE ]
They are in same family as goats, sheep, and cattle. They do have horns,not antlers, that shed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sheep and goats are bovine?

Taxonomic Hierarchy

Kingdom Animalia -- Animal, animals, animaux

Phylum Chordata -- chordates, cordado, cordés

Subphylum Vertebrata -- vertebrado, vertebrates, vertébrés

Class Mammalia

Order Artiodactyla -- artiodactyls, cloven-hoofed ungulates, even-toed ungulates

Family Antilocapridae --pronghorns

Genus Antilocapra
Species Antilocapra americana

Ok, I had to look it up because now I am curious. It appears as if goats, sheep, and cattle all belong to the same order, but not the same family. Its here they seperate. Pronhorns are in their own family called Antilocapridae and cattle and true antelope are in Bovidae. They are the only surviving member of their species although it appears as if there is an endagered subspecies in Arizona and Mexico. Kind of interesting stuff.

[ QUOTE ]
Taxonomic Hierarchy

Class Mammalia

Order Artiodactyla Owen, 1841 -- artiodactyls, cloven-hoofed ungulates, even-toed ungulates, porco do mato, veado

Genus Antilocapra Ord, 1818

Ok, I had to look it up because now I am curious. It appears as if goats, sheep, and cattle all belong to the same order, but not the same family. Its here they seperate. Pronhorns are in their own family called Antilocapridae and cattle and true antelope are in Bovidae. I think that is right, all I know is they stink like a goat.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey good info, I was startin to wonder.

[ QUOTE ]
Taxonomic Hierarchy

Class Mammalia

Order Artiodactyla -- artiodactyls, cloven-hoofed ungulates, even-toed ungulates

Genus Antilocapra

Ok, I had to look it up because now I am curious. It appears as if goats, sheep, and cattle all belong to the same order, but not the same family. Its here they seperate. Pronhorns are in their own family called Antilocapridae and cattle and true antelope are in Bovidae. They are the only surviving member of their species although it appears as if there is an endagered subspecies in Arizona and Mexico. Kind of interesting stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Scott,

I was getting worried i was going after the wrong Animal!
evil.gif

Top Bottom