Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ANTI'S UNITE TO WIPE OUT BOWHUNTING!

Old Buck

Life Member
Bowhunters,

Bad news. Just got this. Looks legitimate. I'll post additional information and suggested action soon. Prepare to defend your sport.

Old Buck

U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance

801 Kingsmill Parkway, Columbus, OH 43229

Ph. 614/888-4868 • Fax 614/888-0326

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Doug Jeanneret (614) 888-4868 x 212

November 19, 2004 Beth Ruth (614) 888-4868 x 214

Animal Rights Groups to Announce Plan to Merge, Ban Bowhunting

(Columbus) - The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance (USSA) has learned that the nation’s principal anti-hunting organizations will announce a merger on Monday, November 22. In announcing the merger, the unified anti-hunting group will reveal its intention to target bowhunters for extinction.

The USSA, a national organization founded to protect the rights of sportsmen to hunt, fish and trap, has been following a rumor that the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) and the Fund for Animals are preparing to combine forces.

The HSUS, located in Washington, D.C., is the nation’s largest animal rights organization raising nearly $60 million in 2002. The Fund for Animals is the most vociferous anti-hunting organization and is headquartered in New York City. It raised $6.7 million in 2003.

Scripps Howard News Service reporter Lance Gage confirmed the merger announcement to USSA late Friday afternoon. Gage stated that sources within the groups confirmed that the new organization would seek to ban bowhunting as a first priority.

In response, USSA announced an emergency meeting of bowhunting organizations, businesses and publications to prepare to counter the attack. The Alliance created the Bowhunter Defense Coalition to defeat a series of attacks on bowhunters during the late 1980s.

“The merger announcement serves as a wake up call to bowhunting groups to reunite to defeat what promises to be a powerful attack on our heritage from this monstrous anti-hunting group,†said Rick Story, U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance senior vice president. “To win, we will need to energize the vast grassroots network of sportsmen across this country.â€

Over the years, the Fund for Animals and HSUS have been the two most formidable organizations working to ban hunting. While the Fund for Animals has been openly hostile to hunters, HSUS has attempted to mask its intentions by raising funds using puppy calendars for promotions. Earlier this year, HSUS appointed former Fund for Animals official Wayne Pacelle to the position of CEO. Combined with the merger announcement, Pacelle’s appointment leaves little doubt about the agenda of the newly-merged organization. According to public filings the new organization will have combined assets of as much as $97 million to implement its anti-hunting agenda.

The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance protects the rights of hunters, anglers and trappers in the courts, legislatures, at the ballot, in Congress and through public education programs. For more information about the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance and its work, call (614) 888-4868 or visit its website, www.ussportsmen.org.

I say let them try, I'm never gonna quit bowhunting, whether they win or lose, i will be in a tree every fall until im six feet under
blush.gif
smile.gif

Like I said before, this fight will come down to the court of public opinion. If people can tell you're a hunter from your truck stickers, camo hats etc. while you're out in public, make sure you act like a role model - don't wear shirts with slogans about gut piles, don't drive like an a$$, and always be polite to everybody. When Joe or Jane NonHunter hears distortions and lies about hunters from AR groups they will have something to compare it to. If people can see your deer in the back of your truck while you're driving down the roads, make sure the deer is turned so that the field dressing cuts are not in view, and if there's more than one deer make sure that they are not piled on top of one another. I don't think moms want their little kids to see the inside of your deer...
crazy.gif

I think of myself as a hunting good-will ambassador in some pretty unusual places. Almost all of my shopping is done in health food and new age type stores, so Im in a not necessarily hunter friendly environment. I've struck up conversations with the owners about the organic meat they sell, which segways into my hunting, and when they realize that they are talking to a real hunter who just happens to be a girl they start to open their minds on the subject. When they learn about why people hunt, population control and how healthy game meat is they start to understand why its necessary. If the topic of banning hunting ever comes up within their circle of friends, hopefully they will share their new insight and influence others.

Nobody thinks that these groups could take our hunting away - lets make sure they don't have a chance.
smile.gif

hahahahahahahahahahaa
30577-rotflmao1.gif
30577-rotflmao1.gif
30577-rotflmao1.gif
30577-rotflmao1.gif
30577-rotflmao1.gif

they are really pissin into the wind on this one. they don't stand a chance!

I'm with LIV4RUT, let em take them away. It will be a cold day in hell before someone says I can't hunt with a bow. These guys are raiseing all kinds of money to ban it, but are they going to pay someone to follow us redneck hunters around. Com'on, let them try. It will fail like the rest.

Thanks Larry. I'm sure this will be a hot topic at next IBA Board meeting.Just another reason to become an IBA member. This united front won't go away. This bunch of nut cases mean business and every bowhunter must get involved. NO EVERY HUNTER MUST GET INVOLVED.
rambo.gif

Thanks for the info Larry, sure helps to have quality people covering our back sides.

Kat, very well said, thanks......

Great responses folks.

Kat, you have a talent for bringing up great points. Also, like elkhunter and teeroy said, this is another reminder to join the IBA and wage this war as a team. Kat, if you aren't already a member I'll cover your first years dues!
grin.gif

Old Buck

I believe the statistics would show that MOST hunters do not belong to any national or state conservation organizations.. ie. IBA, Pope & Young, etc. It sounds 'macho' to say yeah they will never stop me from bowhunting. Well, it is hard to bowhunt if you are locked up in jail... or your equipment is confinscated. If it is outlawed then you won't be buying any new stuff. I am not trying to ruffle any feathers, but I am tired of the macho attitude with hunting... it turns most non-hunters off and does nothing positive for our sport. Public opinion is very important, but I am not sure that the public will ultimately decide the outcome. With a few liberal federal judges in the right place, and the courts may be deciding the outcome. I feel that it may take a lot of high dollar lawyers to win this one. No better reason to join conservation organizations than to strengthen their ability to represent us in the courts.

Thank you Larry, that’s very generous of you, but I joined the IBA earlier this year. I'm very thankful for all the work they do for all of us.
smile.gif

Cornfed, right on!
applause.gif

I think that a lot of hunters from rural areas don’t take this threat seriously because they might not realize how much differently people from other parts of the country, (or even city dwellers from the Midwest for that matter) think about these issues. I’d say a good percentage of these people don’t even think about bow hunting much less have an opinion about it. So when these fence sitters start seeing staged propaganda ads in magazines or on tv that would show something like a dead deer with an arrow sticking out of its leg and a caption saying some outright lie like, ‘three out of four deer shot with a bow are wounded and crawl off to die,’ and then they’ll show some little girl and a fawn with spots playing in a meadow full of flowers… What do you think Sally Soccermom is going to do if banning bow hunting gets on the ballot and ads like these are running? (I’ve heard of AR groups shooting arrows into road killed deer and using them as a photo op to show how cruel hunting is - these people will do anything to manipulate the public.)

So if you’re going to put it out there and show the world that you’re a hunter, then you have a certain responsibility that goes along with that. The world is going to be watching and will make judgments about hunting based on your behavior. That’s just the way it is.

Excellent points Kat and Cornfed!

We need to bring attention to the positive aspects of hunting as it relates to the general public. I heard just last week a report by the insurance institute that a record number -- 11 -- Iowans were killed in vehicle/deer accidents this past year. Imagine how the number would climb (until disease wiped out most of the deer) if hunters weren't helping control the population. Inhumane is a deer walking around dragging a leg and dying from the inside out after being clipped by a car. Or dying of starvation and disease.

I also heard quite a bit of discussion last week about the Internet hunts being proposed by the guy in Texas. True hunters/sportsmen don't need the kind of negative publicity that goes along with that kind of outrageous activity. We should be doing all we can to distance ourselves from those activities and denounce them for what they are ... an attempt to cater to sick minds in pursuit of money and publicity.
kickass.gif

Cornfed, I don't consider my self "macho" cause of my previeous post. As an active member of NRA, NAHC,NYBA, Ruffled Grouse foundation, SCI and an active member at my local conservation club. I guess you can say I put money towards my sport and support almost every aspect of it. Yes theres others and I try to put money in to them all cause thats what makes this world go round, but I try. Stating it would be a cold day in hell is an understatment. Seriously would you let some bunny hugger tell you , you cant hunt. Bows will still be marketed, and so won't treestands. I'm not outta the rankings standing alone, thats for sure as we all know it takes man power to win anything in this world. We are on the right track as your state offers IBA. I'm not inrolled in it but as stated before I'm a member of New York Bowhunters Association. Same thing same principle. Please don't consider me "macho" cause of my statment above. It will be a cold day in hell.

Top Bottom