Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Antler Drop?

loneranger

I realize this subject has no simple answer,but when does antler drop usually begin, in earnest? If I choose to hunt the late Muzzle for a buck, I suppose the first 10 days of Jan will be questionable, as antlers will start coming off. Thanks.

There are quite a few reports of shed off bucks coming in from Northern Minnesota, Manitoba and Ontario. Many pictures of bucks standing at feeders with one antler then an hour later another picture they'll be bald.

If I shot a decent buck right now I sure wouldnt drag him to far by the antlers.

In my area (SE Iowa)from what I've seen it usually happens in mid to late Feb. However I killed what I thought was a nice doe three years ago in mid Jan. and it turned out to be a shed buck, and that same year in the same area I had trail cam pics of bucks still holding in April. Crazy stuff

my buddy shot a deer yesterday in southeast iowa when he drug it into the garage one side popped off.it seems like when the weather turns bad early the ones that were run down or injured will lose them.but end of january they seem to really start, just look at last year late antlerless season alot of shed antler bucks were shot.

I,ll be looking come january. Always find em early. And will continue to look until turkey seasons over.

Top Bottom