Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Antler growth - from this point on.....?

scout

I located a couple bucks that very well could be ones I passed on last season. (thinking like that keeps my QDM spirits up, so don't burst my bubble)

Anyhow ones an 8 the other a 10. the bigger of the two looks to be 17-18 wide and into higher the 140's.
I've never heard much about this. Is there a growth spirt!
grin.gif
This guy might need a little help unless he has a good August. So is the growth constant and continous or rapid at first only to slow in late summer or just the opposite? My luck I'm judging him wrong and hes a 130. The moss seems to fool ya.

It seens to me that the bulk of the tine growth occurs from now until the first part of august. I saw a buck last summer, nearly a year ago this week, I thought would maybe make 150....turns out he was in the 170's come velvet shedding time. Seems to hold true every year I go out observing, the tines grow and main beams stay about the same they are now.

I've seen hundreds of bucks so far this year, and ive came to the conclusion you just cant tell. Ive seen bucks right now that look to have barely any growth on them, then on the contrary ive seen some bucks that look like they are just about done growing period. theres a good buck ive been watching that in a two week period he dramatically grew from basically just some beams and browtines to wide and points growing. at least you got some spotted
smile.gif
here are two pictures of a different buck from the one i mentioned above that has 23 days of growth on him. its amazing what they can do
cool.gif

1005fawny_2-med.jpg

scout
There was an article a few years back in one of the deer mags about this. It basically said that antlers start to grow when daylight hours increase. They usually are done around the first week in Aug. But the shocker was that they can grow up to an INCH A DAY!!!! Now this may be the optimum but at even half of that we have at least 3 wks of growing season left. You could be in very good shape by then.
I'll try and find the article it was very encouraging.

James Kroll and John Ozaga both say that antlers are 95% grown by mid July. Basically just growing alittle more tine tip after this time.

I'm no expert but it seems like some of the deer are on different time tables. By that I mean different percentages of their total rack-to-be. Recently I've seen some big ones with tines that are pointed and looked finished off and others like liv's above, with rounded off tines which would appear to have a bit of growing to do yet. I don't know the formula, but the observation has been interesting.

Top Bottom