Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Antler Growth

UNI Buck

I'm just curious, my dad got some pictures off his photohunter of a few bucks last week and I was just wondering how much antler growth will still be going on before deer will loose their velvet. Also, when do deer usually start scraping their velvet off?

FROM WHAT I CAN TELL, ABOUT 90 -100 PERCENT OF THE GROWTH IS DONE NOW.... IT IS JUST AMAZING HOW THE CAMERA NEVER LIES...LAST YEAR I TOOK A PHOTO OF A BUCK ON MAY 29TH...SPREAD WAS ALMOST FINAL AND BROW TINES WERE THE SAME AS THE PHOTO I TOOK OF HIM IN HARD HORN IN OCT.
THE ONLY THING THAT CAN HAPPEN NOW FOR THE MOST PART IS ALL BAD. ANY TYPE OF INJURY CAN OPEN VELVET FOR THOSE DARN FLIES TO FEAST OR JUST BUMPING A TREE LIMB WRONG WILL JUST CHANCE ADDING CHARACTER TO YOUR DEER,,,,, M350 OUT

The racks typically finish up around 15 August,then the velvet starts to loosen with rubbing starting around the first of September, I always seem to start finding alot of rubs the end of the first week of September. Remember they all can be a little diffrent this just happens to be what I have documented over the past 10 years.

Won't be long now!!!!

Top Bottom