Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Antler question ???

moosehunter

PMA Member
Yesterday on the way home from work I stopped to do some glassing and the 1st deer I saw was a huge mature buck with one side fully developed and heavy. I counted 6 tines. The other side was half the size and 4 tines. The small side didn't really looked deformed, just small. I've heard several times that if a deer is maybe injured that could cause a side to become deformed. Does anyone know if that's true?? Or are there other reason's that might happen?? Also, would you harvest a buck like this if you had the chance, or let him pass hoping he would grow 2 good sides next year. This deer would do around 170 if both sides were alike. He also was a pig. Very big body.
After I left him I took a walk back farther a watched 2 typical 8's for a few minutes. Not real heavy but nice and wide and long. Maybe around 130 to 140.

I killed a nice buck a few years back I called Benthead. He had been trashed by a car I presume and survived the ordeal by some miracle.It appears he actually had a skull fracture along with a rear leg (femur) fracture that had healed abnormally. His rack was nice on one side and dwarfed on the other. That is about the best evidence I can give that orthopedic damage to a leg can have effects on antler growth although I have no good explanation as to why.

Attachments

• 32336-benthead.jpg
    32336-benthead.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 10
A few years ago I came to realize I had been seeing a buck over a period of 4 years that only grew one side. he went from a fork to a very nice "8" (had he matched) I passed on him.
I would guess he will be uneven again next year.

The skull is really messed up. His skull had been broken. If you look over the deers right eye socket, you can see the bone callus.

Top Bottom