Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Antler Restriction in Iowa

J

J Becker

How many of you think Iowa should have an antler restriction? If yes, how many points. I personally think one would be great and 6 points would help alot of bucks get bigger. Just wondering some opinions......

HunterMan
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

It wouldn't bother me, but I feel that some might shoot first, count points later, walking away from something that isn't "legal". Not sure how often this would occur, but better to have them tag it and be done, IMO.

I don't like to legislate morals or ethics, and that pretty much is what antler restrictions are, legislated morals and ethics.

There are plenty of pics on this site of hunters, young and old, proudly displaying their buck, big or small, morallly and ethically taken. Why take that away from them? If you tell a begining hunter that no, you can't shoot that 4 point buck, are they goning to want to continue hunting?

I have evolved from a "if its brown its down" hunter into a much more selective hunter all with out the aid of legislation. I feel parenting plays the biggest role followed by positive peer pressure the "I wanna be like Mike" syndrome.

Sure, it bothers me when the guys drive the ground around me and shoot the forkyies I've been watching spar and rub all fall, but they are proud of the kill and they shot it on ground we both have permission to hunt. Who am I to say they can't do that any more? I just try to talk to them about QDM. I might be talking to the wall, but at least there isn't any more legislativly enacted rules to over govern us.

Don't get me wrong though, hunting does need laws, rules and regulation, I just feel antler size isn't one of them.

The 'Bonker

Right on 'Bonker. I am not a fan of antler restrictions at all. I have seen where states have a 8 point restriction and then they get a bunch of 18' wide 6 points that can't be shot. I want to be able to let my kids take there first deer of any size. And on top of that, not all bucks get big racks. We have had deer that we let go for 3,4,or 5 years and they never got to the point where they would have been leagal under a 6 point restriction. I think antler restrictions should be a personal preference.

Antler restriction regulation in other states has had mixed results from what I read. I don't like them for the reasons Bonks already said. Lets face it, the shotgun hunters shoot more inmature bucks than any other group. That only stands to reason since there's alot more shotgun hunters. If the groups that shoot anything would exersize some self control and pass on the small bucks running by they would be much happier the following season.

I personally believe you put a bounty on some of the best deer in a herd. Lets say you have 2 bucks that are both 1 1/2 year olds. One is a forky and the other a perfect basket racked 10pt. The 10pt that has the potenial to be boone in 3 years gets wacked and the forky lives another day. Just a thought.

Our group set out to kill some "does" this weekend during the "antlerless" season. Same results as last year. More button bucks killed than does. 9 out of 13! It's sickening when you think about what they may have been but I guess deer numbers as a whole need to be kept in check.
confused.gif

agree with bonker 100%, we get to caught up in how "big" the deer is. If its a great hunt, shoot the deer. Dont let the size ruin an awesome hunt. If you cant even enjoy your hunt because you killed a smaller deer than there is something wrong. We all want to kill bigger deer yes, but the reality is, its not that easy.

I don't know if I agree with an antler restriction as much as I agree with an earn a buck program. Something along the lines of harvesting a doe before you can harvest of buck.

I have read a lot about the results of various antler restricted states. It seems as though IowaBruce is right on. The young deer with a lot of potential were being killed, while the forks and smaller deer lived on to breed does. In turn, it led to smaller and smaller deer each year, through the spreading of inferior genetics.

I also agree that it would take the fun out of hunting for many people who are not nearly as committed as us. Not to mention the hell our DNR officers would go through while determining whether it was a legal kill or could have been conceived as a legal kill.

[ QUOTE ]
I personally believe you put a bounty on some of the best deer in a herd. Lets say you have 2 bucks that are both 1 1/2 year olds. One is a forky and the other a perfect basket racked 10pt. The 10pt that has the potenial to be boone in 3 years gets wacked and the forky lives another day. Just a thought.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you talking about those two bucks coming in at the same time? If so, even without an antler restriction to keep the hunter from shooting the fork, the hunter would most likely choose to shoot the basket 10 if they came in at the same time.

Although, I can see points here about hunters would then let the forks go and then shoot a 6 or 8 pt. But, what if the restriction did not allow a 6 pointer to be shot… this would save them for a couple years for them to get smarter and survive shotgun seasons. Mainly, that could be what Iowa needs… an antler restriction on only the shotgun season. This is the time where many 1 ½ year olds get shot that could grow up to be big… just a thought.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I definately agree w/ this.

I think we are doing fine w/ the way it is now w/ no antler restrictions. If a guy is going to shoot a young buck he'll shoot one no matter what.

I also agree w/ jrbronc about shoot and ask questions later theory. Alot of that would go on w/ all the deer drives we have.

As far as earn a buck, I don't think we need it. The numbers will show that our current program for harvesting does is working and in my opinion too good in some parts of the state. Other parts of the state might need a little more doe harvesting.

The doe harvesting is getting very lopsided in my opinion w/ areas w/ more urban populations taking far more does than rural areas.

I think the DNR needs to listen to Willie Suchy and react quicker to the hunting effects on our herd. Hopefully the DNR does not get to used to getting all this money for the doe tags where in some counties there is no need for them as much and essentially destroying our herd in those parts of the state.

I think it would be a very difficult thing to enforce, and if it were and someone made a mistake JNRBRONC was right people would shoot one and let it lay if it didn't make the standards. However, earn a buck would probably help IAs deer herd more than anything, at least then there wouldn't be as much restraint from hunters to shoot a doe. I know a lot of hunters that refuse to shoot a doe unless it is the last resort, they would rather shoot a small buck because it has horns, when in reality the mature doe is a much more challenging kill (IMO). Like Bonker said, young hunters and first time hunters get excited over seeing any deer and rightly so, hopefully as they grow and continue to pursue the sport they will learn the advantages of QDM.

[ QUOTE ]
when in reality the mature doe is a much more challenging kill (IMO).

[/ QUOTE ]

100% ---> I would take more pride in killing a 4 or 5 ½ year old doe than a small buck. If Iowa were to have an antler restriction, then that would be part of the hunt. Some think it would hurt the hunters in the youth hunting sense. I think that if a fork were to walk up, it would be part of the hunt and challenge to wait out for a bigger buck. Also, waiting would be more rewarding because of the larger size for the youth. I, still only being 16 and taking my 9 year old sister out, know that she is all up for waiting to shoot at least a 2 ½ year old when she gets the opporitunity. For me personally, I don’t even think about grabing my bow for sometimes even 2 ½ year olds. We have seen ourselves the increase in the amount and quality of 3 1/2, 4 1/2, 5 1/2, and bigger bucks since we have started being the only ones to hunt the area and not take younger deer.

I can't speak for Iowa obviously so I really hope I don't feel like I'm intruding on the topic.

It is obvious you guys have tremendous deer, that is no secret but how many of you guys shot what was less than a mature buck early in your hunting career? I have and I know others who have too.

We must realize that we are the extreme of the hunting world. Not everyone cares to spend so much time hunting or to exert so much effort and passion. For some it is simply a matter of getting out of the rat race for a weekend and for others it is as simple as this great sport in it's truest form....a chance to go put some tasty venison in the freezer.

Like I said...I'm not from there so I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes. But..............regardless where i live, I don't want someone telling my sons or any first time hunter I can convert "they can't shoot a particular deer", for once upon we all shot a first deer and if it wasn't for that very first one this sickness that is so great wouldn't be part of who we are.
smirk.gif

Great perspective Kaare!

You're right, we are the extreme of the hunting world and therefore we need to teach what we have learned to those who do just go out for a weekend a year. Folks don't be afraid to voice your opinion to others out there i believe you'll leave an imprint whether you think so or not.

We won't change the mass of people out there but we will maybe make them think twice about shooting that young buck.

Top Bottom