Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

"Antlerless Only" ?????

Ghost

Life Member
I was just reading through the 2003 Deer hunting regulations.

It states: "Antlerless Only" - Only deer with no antler longer than 7 inches may be tagged with a antlerless-only licence.

I think this is crap
frown.gif
This means a lot of year and a half old bucks will be fair game with a antlerless-only license. I hope the majority of hunters will stick to the does and let the smaller bucks walk.

How do you guys feel about this?
confused.gif

Sometimes the ears on a spike will cover up the antlers and the hunter can not see them. The 7" rule is just there so that these hunters who "accidently" shoot a spike will not get in trouble. I'm like you in that Ihope nobody intentionally takes a small buck to fill there antlerless tags!

Over here it is 3" or less for an antlerless tag to be used. I'm not sure why Iowa went with 7". Seems a bit long. Completely agree with you guys about people letting the youngsters go. From what I see with Iowa's deer herd/quality I believe most hunters there let the small bucks pass. Now Wisconsin on the other hand...I hear a lot of "Yup.. got my buck again this year!"
doah.gif
wtf.gif
doah.gif

In bowhunting, the deer should be close enough to tell if it has spike, even buttons for that matter. To me, antlerless means antlerless, no if ands or buts about it. Late season with a ML, a lot of big bucks bite the dust because they have already shed thier antlers. A little bit more observation would reveal a larger body, still thickened neck, pedicles, etc. People shooting a deer owe it to that deer to know exactly what it is, prior to the shot. Just my opinions on the situation folks

yea thats stupid a bunch of ppl are pry gona be like oh its a buck i'm gona shoot it and throw an antlerless tag on it to me thats just retarded!!! antlerless should be what it says ANTLERLESS no antlers!!! i think thats a bunch of crap but thats how it goes....
yay.gif

I don't think it is really a big deal. The law has been that way for a number of years. I doubt most people are going to try to field judge 7" of antler.

Anyone just wanting to kill a deer will do so without worrying what it is.
Besides, it ends up being one less deer out there which is not going to hurt us that much in most areas.

Our concern over antlers has somewhat contributed to our abundance of does and deer in general. Not as many of us just kill deer and go home as we used to.

i have no problem with the 7 inch rule, i dont think many people try to shoot bucks, and if they do they dont care if it is 7 inches or not. when there is an antlerless season at least with the guys that i know that do it, it seems that during that season they usually shoot half does and half bucks, button bucks that is. that is what sucks, is so many button bucks get killed which is hard for any hunter to tell if it is a button buck or not on the run. also a few bucks that have lost their antlers also seem to get shot during this season so who knows, its just a constant battle. goodluck on the upcoming season!!!

Top Bottom