Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Any Advice?

H

horst

Im fairly new to turkey hunting, Ive only went one year and that year i tried bowhunting them.Well I think Im gonna try it again this year, again with a bow.The last time I went I did manage to call 3 different turkeys in during the season, all in bowrange, but never managed to get drawn back on them.It was a blast and I liked the longer season you get with a bow even if I didnt get one.

I have 4 different mouth calls and a slate call, a hen decoy, and a ground blind.I didnt have the blind the last time I tried it so if anyone has any tips on hunting from one or on getting drawn back in one without being seen i could use em.

Ive also been practicing my calling but I know theres different noises I could be making with these calls than a yelp.Any good videos or anything you could recomend on the different sounds hens make?And whats a good locator call, I knew the last time I went where the turkeys were roosting but this year Im having more trouble finding them before season so I may need one of these calls.

And last thing I can think to ask is about decoys, any certain way i should set my decoy up to give me a better chance of getting drawn back?And should I get a jake decoy to go with the hen?

I plan to use the steelforce broadheads i used to hunt deer, they have a wide cutting edge and do a lot of damage, and they also fly great.Ive seen stops you put behind the broadhead to keep them from passing through, are these nessacary?

Anyway, sorry about all the questions, last time i went i didnt have a clue what i was doing and kinda made things up as i went, it worked but i thought maybe getting some good advice beforehand might save me a lotta headaches in a couple weeks LOL.
doah.gif

horst

You said you had a hunter's view blind, if they have a black interior (and I assume they do) wear a black hooded sweatshirt in it instead of camo. Also when you set up only have 1 or 2 shooting windows open and never have them across from each other otherwise you'll be silouheted (sp?) when you draw back. I draw when the turkey is about to pop into my window or facing away in full strut. If that doesn't happen wait it out. Patience is the key. If the bird starts to get spooky and start away draw and hope for the best.

Calls. My locator calls are owl hoots in some places and crows in other places. Depending on the area I think that the owls prey heavily upon the turkeys because if I owl hoot at my one farm they won't answer it but a crow they will. Go figure. A good video? Hmmm, the Hunter's Specialties "Calling 101" are good...if i got the name right that is. Also in the Primos videos they go through all their calls and that's a good way to learn. A primos slate or box call works the same basic way as another of similar design.

Decoys. I set all my decoys within 10 yards of the blind. I'll set my jake decoy at 10 yards facing the blind with a hen between me and him. A tom'll sometimes come in and face off with the jake and if he does he'll be facing away and preoccupied with the "intruder" and you'll get a great shot right between his wing butts.

As far as the Steelforces for turkeys...they're probably going to blow right through the bird and unless you hit 'em just right it won't a lot of "shock" damage. In an earlier post we discussed some broadheads. Although I've never used mechanicals on birds I think they're the way to go. They hit the bird HARD. Wasp Jakhammers, any Rocket, & Spitfires are all good mechanicals. Like I said I used Muzzy's with an addre point behind. Problem is it adds 15 grains to the head, not a big deal really. If you can maintain the arrow flight with an adder point behind your Steelforce i think you'll be alrite. Judo makes the spring judo "thingys" (i know i'll regret typing that) that can go behind points but I'm not sure if they're legal or not. Help me out guys. I THINK, and I stress THINK, you'd be ok as long as it's BEHIND a legal broadhead.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. If you get frustrated send me a private message and maybe we could buddy up and try to get you a bird.

I would add just a couple of things to Muddy's good advice. Either get a breeding pair of decoys or add a jake to your hen placed in the breeding position. Set them close to the blind and just where you want the shot. I like to set them side ways to the hunter position because most often a gobbler will walk arround them looking for a chance at a fight. Once the bird has seen the decoys either stop calling or call very little. Usually the gobbler will come in running and ready to fight. I have had one decoy really ripped up from spurring. Don't get in a big hurry to take a shot. Most of the time the gobbler is so intent on the decoys you can get away with a lot and not spook him. I have had them knock decoys over and then stomp on them. Good luck with your bow, I haven't accomplished that yet. Maybe this will be the year.

Thanks guys, I think Ill buy a jake decoy and maybe look at some mechanical broadheads, even though ive tried to stay away from them as much as possible.

My blind doesnt have a black interior but if it comes down to it I can borrow my dads which does have the black.Kinda a tradeoff cause mines got a more realistic camo pattern on the outside and his has the black inside.How bad will I stick out in mine if Im wearing a similiar camo to the pattern on the blind?Like I said Im new to this and I know turkeys have sharp eyesight but with the decoys out i should be ok right?

I was setting my decoy out at about 20 yrds before but will definately set it closer this time, Ive seen how birds can hang up just on the other side of the decoys.

Muddy, where you located?We aint got a lotta turkeys around here and if your serious i might give you a call if i dont see nothing the first half the season or something.Im going to the river this weekend to check out a couple spots and maybe ask permission for a couple but so far ive only been able to find one turkey.Thanks again, im sure ill be bugging you guys again before its all said and done.

WELL PUT MUDDY. FOR MY TWO CENTS WORTH-FIRST DON'T SWEAT THE MOUTH CALL THING. IF ITS NOT WORKING FOR YOU, STICK TO A BOX OR SLATE--EVEN THOSE DARN EASY YELPERS FROM QUAKER BOY MAKE SUPER TURKEY SOUNDS. USE WHAT YOUR COMFORTABLE WITH. IF IN A BLIND, YOU CAN HAVE ALL THE MOVEMENT WISHED, YA JUST HAVE TO KNOW WHEN AND WHEN NOT TO MOVE.
SECOND, BY BEING IN THE BLIND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO LEARN THE TURKEY VOCABULARY, ESPECIALLY THE SOFT TALK FROM CLOSE IN BIRDS. GOOD LUCK. M350 TURKEY GOD

I live near Iowa City. Can't guarantee you anything right now, but we'll see when 3rd-4th season rolls around.

Top Bottom