Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Any bow supertuners in the Muscatine area?

iowabucks

Hey everyone, i just got my new 2010 Elite GT500 2 days ago and took it to a well known big box store in Iowa City to have them put on a custom string and get everything in tune. That was friday morning and considering how busy they got they did good in getting me in and out. Besides papertuning they normally halfway sight in the bow but with them being busy i told him i could take care of that myself. I get it home and can't get it to group at all. Can't even get the sight to go down far enough or left far enough. Not by a little, but alot. By eyeballing everything i can see the rest is way off. About a 1 inch centershot, rest or nock is off cause the arrow is angling down.

I posted a thread on the Elite forums and the stringmaker left me a pm asking me to call him. He said the string was not put on with enough twists. Not even close. He was afraid it would probably have serving separation because of it. The bow is not in spec anymore either.

The person that tuned it did sound knowledgeable, but they didn't do a very good job of setting it up. I'm getting to the point where i don't trust anyone with tuning anymore. 2 days into the bow season and i am not even close to getting out there yet. All the more reason i want to do this myself if i could afford a press for these newer bows.

Does anyone know of someone in the Muscatine area that is really good at tuning a bow?

DSC06876.jpg

The string should look more like this one.
apsnowsbh009.jpg

Last edited:
I started setting up my own bows and have been helping friends with theirs. I am no expert by no means. I have a press and would be willing to help.

Mobile Cooter

Frank Hahn from the old Cock n' Bull Archery has a shop down on Burlington Road somewhere's. I'm not sure If he does too much of the tuning anymore, however, I'm sure he could correct your string problem and re-serve it. Otherwise, the Knupp's (or Nupp's) I think they opened a shop at or around the time that Cock n' Bull moved/closed , BUT, I have no idea whether they do that anymore. I use to see them all the time at bow shoot's, but I haven't went to one in a few years. There's also Hammer and Wedge downtown Muscatine, but I've never been in there and don't know if they even mess with archery.

Didn't the stringmaker have the string paperclipped or something? Do you have a scale to check max poundage? What is your axle to axle measurement and brace height measurement? I'm not close to Muscatine but can tune an Elite if you want to ship it to me.

Airassault - I do remember Frank Hahn but assumed he got out of the business when he sold the place quite a few years ago. I met John Nupp years ago and thought about contacting him, but didn't know if he did that kind of work for others.

jjohnson - the stringmaker had a card that came with it stating not to untwist the strings, to try to keep the same amount of twists when installing, but that card was stapled to another set of strings that went to a second bow the big box place did for me. This other bow's string looked alot better than this Elites did.

The ata right now is 34 7/8", which is right on. Thats measuring from center of axle pins. Brace height is 7 1/4", 1/8" too long. So ATA is right on and BH is almost 1/8" too long. I don't have a scale to check poundage but i plan on building a draw board when the season is over to get everything checked out. Sending it to you sounds like a good idea, but right now i just want to get it going and get out in my treestand because i want to get plenty of practice in with it before i even attempt to shoot a deer.

Last edited:
If the string wasn't twisted up like the stringmaker says. Your specs would be all over the place. If it feels like it's pulling 70 lbs I would shoot it. Broadhead tune it and if there is no problems I wouldn't be afraid to hunt with it and get it checked out after season.

If your ata is on than there is no way you brace height should be off I don't believe. Did you check both sides? Sometime one side is off.

Elite's brace height and ata are approximates. It's common to have one or the other off a smidge and have a tuned bow. I tune for peak weight, then draw length, and letoff. Let everything else fall where it may unless it's way out. If it hits peak weight between 6-6.5" into the draw cycle and hits IBO speed your good to go.

Airassault - I do remember Frank Hahn but assumed he got out of the business when he sold the place quite a few years ago. I met John Nupp years ago and thought about contacting him, but didn't know if he did that kind of work for others.

He brings his septic truck into our shop to be worked on and i've asked him about fletching arrows a couple times and he always says they have their shop on Burlington Road. I've just never made it out that way yet.

Top Bottom