Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Any Ideas?

Booner

So I have to give an 8 min Persuasive speech at Iowa State for my speech class and I'm stuck for Ideas. I want to do something that I'm passionate about which obviously has to deal with the sport of hunting and the outdoors. I've got some ideas in mind like trying to persuade people to join an outdoor group like DU, Whitetails unlimited , NWTF etc. Just wondering if anyone has any good ideas or things I could maybe run with. Thanks on any ideas, I've thought about this all day and I'm stumped.:confused:

had the same thing.. talked about all the good things hunters do for wildlife: population control, habitat, DU, PF etc.. also about the financial impact that hunters make on the economy.

Thats easy ...try to persuade the audience to agree to let the DNR manage the states wildlife resources instead of the paid off Governor by the / farm bureau / insurance companies. Sorry guys this was to easy

Last edited:
Josh:

First thing that came to my mind was similar to the previous poster. Try to make people aware that deer populations in metro areas are not indicative of state wide levels. Or NR quotas: revenue source versus land access issues, etc. I think you can easily come up with an idea in no time.

those are all great ideas, i just wonder how you will find all the "reliable resources BS)

i'd do it on QDMA and the benefits and why people should jump on board with preserving the deer population.

i had a similar paper in when i went to dmacc, helps a ton if your instructor has a hunting background.

I did mine on Urban Deer Management, you can even use Ames as an example. I got an awesome grade on it and there is tons of literature on the subject.

I did mine on gun control, even got to take the ol .357 magnum into the classroom as a visual after the professor made sure it was empty. Should have seen all the city boys get uneasy when I whipped that sucka out of the backpack. This was only a couple years ago too. Gotta love small town universities.

I did mine on gun control, even got to take the ol .357 magnum into the classroom as a visual after the professor made sure it was empty. Should have seen all the city boys get uneasy when I whipped that sucka out of the backpack. This was only a couple years ago too. Gotta love small town universities.
lucky no one called the police, thats a felony.

bigbuckhunter88 said:

That sounds like a Mississippi thing

arrow flinger

I did a speech in college on why dogs are better than cats. Had the teacher rolling and got almost a perfect score on it! Might not be a lot of info on it, but its real easy to come up with true information. Good luck with whatever you do.

lucky no one called the police, thats a felony.
Guess I didn't realize it was a felony or that I could get in any trouble. The prof. gave me the idea when I submitted my topic. Said he had at least one student bring one in each semester. He brought in some old Vietnam War rifles and some .50 caliber rounds. One of the most informative classes I have ever been in.

I did a speech in college on why dogs are better than cats. Had the teacher rolling and got almost a perfect score on it! Might not be a lot of info on it, but its real easy to come up with true information. Good luck with whatever you do.
This reminds me of a speech a fellow student gave. Title was "Why Peas are the best vegetable." Thesis was "because they are green and you can fit alot of them in a bowl". It was hilarious

Thats easy ...try to persuade the audience to agree to let the DNR manage the states wildlife resources instead of the paid of Governor / farm bureau / insurance companies. Sorry guys this was to easy

That would be a great idea. I did mine a couple years ago at DMACC on why archery hunting is safer than gun hunting. It kind of sucked though because I was all excited to do the project and got real into it, but no one in the class really cared or seemed interested:eek:. I think doing it on Branstad turning down the DNR would be a great topic though, that way I'm sure theres some kids in the class that are at least into politics and stuff so it could grab some attention that way. Maybe even at the end show the e-mail address to the govenor and maybe make a point to say that even though not everyone in the class cares about deer to at least take notice of their govenor overruling the DNR and there proven facts that the population is dwindling. Then poise the question of what else could the govenor just ignore and do what he thinks is right.

Thanks guys, alot of good points for me to consider, now if only I could persuade my speech teacher that she shouldn't have speeches due during november I'd be in like flint :D:D

Thanks guys, alot of good points for me to consider, now if only I could persuade my speech teacher that she shouldn't have speeches due during november I'd be in like flint :D:D
This brought up a very good point. You should try to persuade her that Buck Fever is an actual sickness/disorder, and that your absences from class should be excused because you have a medical condition that requires you to be in a treestand instead of a classroom.

This brought up a very good point. You should try to persuade her that Buck Fever is an actual sickness/disorder, and that your absences from class should be excused because you have a medical condition that requires you to be in a treestand instead of a classroom.

Now i really like that topic :D:D:D:D

Top Bottom