Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Any NE Missouri hunters out there?

G

GunnerJon

My first love is hunting big toms at home in Iowa....but when I have the time and cash to hunt my family's NE Missouri property, I jump at the opportunity. I absolutely love it down there. The birds seem ALOT more educated and tougher to get, but it is still a blast. Any of you guys/gals out there hunt NE Missouri?

I hunt down around priceton, Mo. Those turkeys in that area that I hunt in are harder to hunt than Iowa birds. I wonder if they really get that much more pressure?

Im glad you guys think NE Missouri toms are smart. I thought it was just me. Having hunted in central and southern Mo for the first 18 years of my turkey hunting career with great results, my hunting partner and I worked up the nerve to ask the landowner weve bowhunted on in schyler county to hunt spring turkeys. We were tired of running up and down the mountains farther south but were a little afraid that there wouldnt be enough of a challenge up north. After all there seems to be so damn many birds. As you may have guessed we were in for a major surprise. The damned things are call shy, decoy shy, and every other shy there is! Weve had some successes but most have been ambushes which is not my favorite method but what the hell. If I didnt have my camping trailer set up permanently up there I would return south.
If you guys ever get the time you really should try a spring hunt in the Ozarks. Bird density is much lower but there are miles and miles of public property with logging roads to walk and call and when you get a response, they are very callable. Just watch out for the timber rattlesnakes in the real rocky areas.
If you ever want to go and need directions Email me and I can tell you right where to go.
[email protected]

I think you guys must be letting some of those birds across the border. When I first started hunting spring turkeys arround here 10 years ago they were pretty dumb, but so was I. Last year I got busted by all the smart ones and never got a shot for myself. I did manage to get a friend setup right and he got his first. Maybe we should tighten up the border patrol!

Top Bottom