Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Any new digital cameras out yet??

Cam Trakker used to have one and I would suspect they still do. Be prepared for the price though, it is a bit more$$ than the others. I think the VMAN may be able to help you out with a homebrew cam.

DeerCam is coming out with one later this summer that appears to blow the rest away for price as well as features. I have several on order and will report back when I have more details.

You can build your own for less than $200.00 without too much effort. I built one last summer. After numerous requests from several friend we've now got about 14 in different stages of development. Just have to find a night we've all got free to get a few of them completed.

cow_going_to_hay_a.jpg

PA140112_a.jpg

Cabela's has the ones Gunrunr was talking about for about 500. that is half of what Cam trakker is asking. Patrick, how hard are these cameras to make. they do not look complicated on the inside but for someone like me with no experience with circuit boards and such, sounds like I could screw something up......

We also had zero circuit board or soldering experience. It was very easy to put together. Here's the web page where you can get the info. If you don't want to actually build the circuit boards yourself, there are several people in the forum who you can buy one from reasonably. Several people on the forum are very technical and very willing to answer any and all questions. After seeing how these are built, it's now very easy to look at the commercial units and realize that they are actually a step below what you can build yourself. One warning though, you will not build just one.

http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/

Both pictures are from an digital camera made with plans from jesse's hunting page. I used an olympus D-380 digital camera. Once I got the parts it took me about three to four hours to get it working and most of that was cutting holes in the encloser.

I'm not grat at soldering but its not that tough. I'm sure you could find a friend to help out. I borrow someone elses soldering iron every time I work on one. That tells you how much experience I have?

The olympus D-380 camera has been discontinued if you can find one you might get it cheap. I bought the last couple wall-mart had for $120 each after a little smooth talking. At that price I can build one for under $190.00.

opps, forgot one of the questions. My caera setup uses smart media cards. I have two cards and swap them when I check the camera. With a 64 meg card you can get about 150 pictures.

I took my camera elk hunting and set it near a wallow when I checked it three days later it had taken 153 pictures before an elk rubbed up against it a changed the direction its was pointing. Had a few tree branches and clouds after that...

Hoping to take it out to Wyoming moose hunting this fall. Maybe I can get a moose or a grizzly bear?

Supposedly the Olympus D380 is selling for $99 at Circuit City if you can find one left. Otherwise places such as Office Max may also price match.

The D-380 is nice becuase its easy to modify and you can turn off the LCD window to save on battery life.

Checkout jesse's hunting pages digital camera forum for lots of info. You have to be a registered member to see that forum. Lots of folks post picutres of their camera designs that can be very helpful.

Jesse's Hunting Page - Game Trail Cameras

Yes, I use the camera for both the game came and as a regular camera. The way I wire it it has a little stereo plug hanging off the end of it.

There's also a guy who builds boards that control the camera through the camera's serial port. This allows more types of cameras to be used and also eliminates modifying the camera.

Also, a couple of guys build boards that will control a camcorder through the LANC connection. Several guys use camcorders as well as still cameras.

Camtrakker came out with a new digital this year, $650. That has a slave flash and used the olympus D-380. Sounds really familiar Huh. Oh ya I had one of these a year ago. LOL anyway Im with the other guys build your own or find someone else to build it for ya. Much better camera system and youll save some money. If your going to be at the get together next weekend Ill have one for show and tell.

Top Bottom