Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Any one hear about a Mt. Lion on trail cam in Cedar Falls area?

JNRBRONC said:
There was a DNR confirmed trail cam pic of a Mt. lion in Clinton County. Mt. Lions can travel 80-90 miles a night, traveling along rivers/streams, through timber, etc.

Had one killed in Iowa county a couple of deer seasons ago.

I'm not surprised where they turn up anymore.

Yeah that picture was taken just 3 miles from me! Had many rumors going around and nobody believed it. Not even the DNR

Where in MO. is that? Like how far from Iowa? I lived 20 yrs in N. MI. in the Nat. forest. Hiked and hunted all over it. Saw bear tracks, and once sure I saw the back side of one heading up a hill, but never ran into one. They are hunted heavy and that is the key. The fear of man is instilled in them. In protected places,,like Nat Parks,,that is another story.

There have been mountain lions on trail cam all over mo, a guy caught one in a trap last year in southern mo, there were 2 killed in the last couple years too in mo, one was near La Plata and another one in western part of state

I was told a story about a guy finding the buck he shot during archery season drug into a thicket with claw marks on it. The story also included that story also included trial cam pics of a lion cub.:eek: Of course I was told this story about 11:30 New Years Eve.:drink2:

Where in MO. is that? Like how far from Iowa? I lived 20 yrs in N. MI. in the Nat. forest. Hiked and hunted all over it. Saw bear tracks, and once sure I saw the back side of one heading up a hill, but never ran into one. They are hunted heavy and that is the key. The fear of man is instilled in them. In protected places,,like Nat Parks,,that is another story.

A long ways from Iowa. About 15 miles from the Arkansas line.

Mt. Lions can travel 80-90 miles a night, traveling along rivers/streams, through timber, etc.

An adult male can have a home range of up to 300 square miles. A collared female "hiked" rim-to-rim in the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago in 4 hours (~12-16 hr venture for most in-shape humans) and there are only a small handful of areas to cross the Colorado River.

I've been lucky enough to see one. I'm with you, enjoy being out there too much to let that creep into my thoughts and spoil the moment for me.

I've stood less than 30 feet from an upset female, seen one dash across the road in front of my headlights, and saw what I'm sure was a lion at the end of our dead-end street when we lived in Tucson and then there was that young female that showed up on my trail cam right before my hunt. After the close encounter, being in the woods at night made me nervous (that is enough to rattle anyone), but, like Karre, being out there is more important and I got over it. I've lived, camped, hunted, fished, and hiked in and amongst a REAL mt. lion population ;) (not the sporadic travelers) since I moved to Arizona in 1999. I've seen fresh carcasses, knowing that the lion was likely watching me due to their behavior over a fresh kill; I've seen fresh and active scrape lines from toms marking their territory (again, pretty sure I was being watched), and I've seen tracks right next to mine hiking out of a canyon and the tracks weren't there hiking in. The odds are in your favor that the lion will avoid you and leave you alone. Yes, they are cats and are curious and will stalk humans from time to time to see what is going on and attacks do happen, but, you have a better chance of being struck by lightening or killed by a hammer than being hurt by a mt. lion.

Last edited:
Im not sure how you can even question if they are in Iowa or not- just kidding yourself. One was killed in a residential area of Des Moines a few months back right off 2nd AVE- was on the news and DNR came out to get it. Doesnt get more evident than that-

Im not sure how you can even question if they are in Iowa or not- just kidding yourself. One was killed in a residential area of Des Moines a few months back right off 2nd AVE- was on the news and DNR came out to get it. Doesnt get more evident than that-

If you are referring to my comment about a "real" population, it has nothing to do with questioning whether or not they are there. I grew up in Iowa and have followed their presence there for several years. I've been apart of a few mountain lion studies in my wildlife biology career so, no, I'm not kidding myself. My comment about a "real" population was more tongue-in-cheek (just realized I forgot the smiley face I intended), but still referring to the density of lions (reproducing, self-sustaining populations) we have here in Arizona and other western states as opposed to the relatively few that are showing up in Iowa. And I have yet to hear of any lions reproducing there. Most are young lions dispersing from Nebraska, SD, etc. A few setting up territories? Sounds like it. Multiple reproducing pairs establishing a sefl-sustaining population? Hasn't been shown yet that I've seen.

My family still swears we saw one by the Losse Hills by Council Bluffs. Almost hit the thing as it ran across the road on HW-31 by gwood

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
If you are referring to my comment about a "real" population, it has nothing to do with questioning whether or not they are there. I grew up in Iowa and have followed their presence there for several years. I've been apart of a few mountain lion studies in my wildlife biology career so, no, I'm not kidding myself. My comment about a "real" population was more tongue-in-cheek (just realized I forgot the smiley face I intended), but still referring to the density of lions (reproducing, self-sustaining populations) we have here in Arizona and other western states as opposed to the relatively few that are showing up in Iowa. And I have yet to hear of any lions reproducing there. Most are young lions dispersing from Nebraska, SD, etc. A few setting up territories? Sounds like it. Multiple reproducing pairs establishing a sefl-sustaining population? Hasn't been shown yet that I've seen.

not towards you at all- never saw your comment prior to posting that- but thanks for the info:)!

Missouri is up to 38 confirmations. About 2 dozen of those have came in the last two years. Amazing after they took them off of the endangered species list how many confirmations start showing up.

I saw one WSW of Lamoni about 6-8 years ago. Hauling a load of cattle home with my brother in law. It came out of a brushy draw onto the black top. Saw that there was no cover on the other side and dropped to its belly and crawled back into the draw. About 80 yards west of the draw a truck load of the orange army pulled around a hay lot and out onto the black top. I had wondered if they even knew the cat was there or not. The thing was about as long as one lane on the blacktop when it dropped to its belly.

Top Bottom