Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Any scent lok users out there?

Have used the Supprescent liner for a couple of years now and yes, it definetely makes a difference. It is not a cure all though...you'll still get busted from time to time. Still try to play the wind, but these products will help when the deer don't follow the script. Good luck.

NWBuck

i gotta scent lock suit quite a few years ago. it worked...but not well enough for me. last year i went with supprescent suit and i had very good luck with it. i later found out that you have to put scentloc in a dryer on a VERY hot setting to reactivate it. now i have 1 of each and will probably wear them both at the same time. i think my main porblem was i didn't use a head/face mask or gloves...started using them and had better luck. as previously stated, scent containing suits are not cure alls, but they do help quite a bit.

I use carbon impregnated clothing every time I go hunting. I mainly use the supprescent stuff. Use the site search key and search under supprescent, Scent lok, or scentblocker and you will likely come up with some matches.

I think there is some NEW stuff out there that does not require a dryer to activate. That is why if you go to Cabelas stores and find these suits heavily discounted.....I use the Scent Blocker and have had no problems with being detected. I will look for the info and post later.

Anyone know where to get suppressent liners. I already have great browning goretex camo, I just need a good liner. Would prefer suppressent, but can not find it right now!!

as far as i know the only company that sells liners is scent lok. supprescent you'll have to get in camo.

Bought one of the first suits ever made nearly 10 years ago....not convinced they are worth the money. A marketing gimic that has some legitimate claims, but is over rated.

I'm reminded of the legendary greats of deer hunting that hunted the old fashioned way, "reading the wind"....Del Austin, Jim Jordan, Fred Goodwin, Lloyd Goad, Delmar Johnson, and others who never used charcoal suits, but rather instincts and good hunting techniques.

First and foremost reading and hunting the wind is a priority. Yet, I have deer come from the places I least expect them. This is when these tools become usefull. I have been around carbon air filtration systems and can tell you first hand they work. I go to extremes besides the scent suppressing/blocking clothing. Every step adds up. I would use any tool you could that helps you attain your goals. On a lighter note. I wonder if this comes in camo? http://flatulence-filter.com/

It's been a couple of years but I bought a Supprescent liner through the Bass Pro Shops archery catalog. I've not looked this year though. I liked it better than the Scent Lok because the outside was a softer, quieter material. Maybe they quit making them now.

NWBuck

That is an excellent article River Bottom Boy. If you haven't read it you all should. I had the same question about re-activating the suit and when I e-mailed the company they said just use a clothes dryer. When I asked about the fact that they don't approach a high enough temperature they didn't have an answer. One side note though is that I always heard 800 degrees F was required rather than Celsius. I still have my liner and I'll still use it but my ?'s are still there as well.
confused.gif
Maggs

Great question for debate. And it has been debated widely. I reactivate mine in my dryer. When I return to my vehicle I immediately place mine in a plastic bag. Every time I remove it from the bag I notice what I call a nuetral smell to it. You know that "woodsy" smell your clothes get from the outdoors? I never smell that on my Supprescent but notice it on other clothes (Supprescent stays in it's own bag).

Now for my opinion. I don't believe they totally hide the human scent. They just suppress it so that if you are winded it would lead the deer to believe you are not in the immediate vacinity. Let's face it. Alot of the areas we hunt the deer constantly smell humans (for instance farm land). I think the deer know that a small wiff of human is normal in these areas but a bug ole dose of it....time to bug out. It kinda of tricks their brain instead of their nose. Then again I'm not a biologist and have been wrong on numerous occasions.

RTN...your post leads me to wonder if a deers sence of smell is genetically influenced. I mean certain dogs smell better than others due to their breeding. I hunted pheasants and quail with my pair of shorthairs for over 12 years before losing them both this Spring to age. The one thing I learned from watching them work was that my male dog had a much colder nose than my female. If my female stuck a point, you better be ready to shoot. My male on the other hand would point and track and point and track and finally stick the point.

I wonder if deer in different environments can smell better or worst than others.
offtopic.gif

I think that is an excellent correlation between the two and a hard one to assess on the deer's part. In years past, I have had deer cross my trail or get down wind of me and give the heads up and test routine, check for danger and then proceed, others come past and make no mention of it, and the others we are all too familiar with that spook the instant they get a whiff, all in the same day within an hour. It could be a difference in the experience the individual deer has had with humans or how good the deer's sense of smell actually is and how much they perceive as not being a threat.

GW....couldn't comment on the genetic correlation but as far as environment there is no doubt in my mind that heat,cold,humidity,etc. play an important part with a deers sense of smell.

Shredder....I would agree that some deer would react differently to our scent due to previous run ins with humans. I do believe that every deer has a certain tolerance for human smell. At what point they stop tolerating it would be best left for someone other than me to try and speculate.

Scent lock suits may help somewhat but they are no substitute for good old fashioned scent elimination. I am sure there are many scent lock users out there who have been picked off by the keen sense of smell the whitetail has. One of the biggest reasons why scent lock suits fail is because Joe trophy hunter gets out of work at 4:00 PM flies out to his favorite stomping grounds, jumps out of his car, throws his scent lock coveralls on over his work clothes and proceeds to scare the big boy (he has been watching prior to season) off into the next county. And I am sure that most of these guys are convinced scentlock doesnt work.I'llshare with you something that has worked for 30 years for me. First of all I do own a scent lock outer garment, I got it last year and I am sure it adds an extra security blanket. I wash all my clothes in Arm&Hammer washing soda. I then dry them with baking soda and HS strut earth scent dryer sheets. I do however use some other products if I have the spare cash. I use a scent eliminating clothes wash sold by Blodgett Calls in New York (607-937-0766 call for a free catalogue)I use there fall blend scent eliminating spray in the dryer along with baking soda and dryer sheets. After washing all my hunting clothes including under garments I then store them in plastic bags and then into rubbermaid storage totes, I also include a liberal dose of fall blend scent eliminator.I have numerous sets of camo clothing so I do them all! NOTE I also wash clothes that are worn to my hunting sites. The day of my hunt first of all I check the wind pattern to determine where I will be hunting. Before I leave home I shower in a scent free soap, I then cover myself with baking soda(DO NOT FORGET YOUR GROIN) your hair is also a critical area. I then dress in my clean clothes,usually sweats and I have a pair of moccasins that always go into my vehicle with me, upon arrival at my hunting site I change all my clothes including my underwear! I then dress lightly in my hunting clothes, you do not want to overdress for the walk in. I carry all extra clothes and outergarments in my backpack. I never wear my hunting boots anywhere but to and from my stand!! During your walk to your stand wear gloves and never (and I mean never) touch any branch or limb with your hands on the way in. First of all it is like laying a direct human scent trail directly to your stand, and trust me the deer will not follow. Upon arrival if you are sweating change your undershirt( I always wear a long sleeve camo tee to my stand) the sweaty tee goes into a ziplock bag, I then proceed to dress. It is very important to remember to wash your backpack along with your other gear, it is the biggest carrier of human scent and most hunters do not ever wash theirs
wstupid.gif
. Never wear the same clothes two days in a row always wear fresh ones.Spray yourself down with scent eliminator and into your tree or blind you go. This may seem like alot of work but why waste your time day after day walking into the woods without being prepared, you are better off taking up a different hobbie!(LIKE BIRD WATCHING)Remember you can never be overprepared
waytogo.gif
.I can tell you that my methods work very well for me and I am rarely picked out in my stand, I have many big bucks to my credit and the extra work certainly pays off. Good luck with your pursuit of the whitetail and remember the whitetails nose knows!!!
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

Makes you wonder how the native american indians survived with their stick bows and smoked buckskins with charcoal rubed on them.
crazy.gif

I believe if a guy had enough time and patience for that approach it would be best. What gets me is I have scent lok and be careful about scent and hunt very hard. I see deer - can't say that I get winded that I know of very often.

I then look at other hunters in our area who smoke in their hunting clothes and have no right in seeing any deer, yet get lucky and bring home a trophy anyway.

Sometimes it just doesn't seem fair and I wonder if it is worth the effort or even if the stuff works. I keep my faith and persistance and someday I will have a wallhanger.

Top Bottom