Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Any Sioux City archers here?

idsman75

I guess this could be considered a "poll" which can be incredibly annoying but I'm trying to find other archers in the Sioux City area. Are there any around here that frequent Iowa Whitetail?

id - yes a few, most just sit back and enjoy but some of us are more
crazy.gif

I was just wondering where folks around here go to get arrows done and have their bows serviced etc... I'm looking for a reputable pro shop.

ID, I'm from Sioux City. I do the bow work myself, unless a press is required. Sioux Land Sports(712-234-0028) on Nebraska is a good pro shop. They sell Bow Tech and Martin but will service about anything. Brair and Bow (405 Pearl St. 712-255-5132) is another pro shop that you could check out. They sell Hoyt bows. Scheels All Sports is a Mathews dealer. They will service your bow but from my experience, going to a smaller pro shop allows you better, more timely service.

Arrows..... the best place to have your arrows built is in your workshop. If you don't have the few tools needed to build arrows, get them. It's and enjoyable passtime. If you don't want to build your own, Siouxland Sports is the place to go. He can have a doz arrows cut and fletched within the day.

DLO--I'm still in my first year of archery so I dont trust myself just yet. I'd post my honest opinion here but I'd probably be stepping on toes. I am intimately familiar with Siouxland Sports and I think that Rod is probably one of the very best around when you look at not only his quality work and incredible customer service and the interest he takes--especially in the new archer who may need a few tips. I wouldn't have harvested my first deer with a bow this year if it wasn't for Rod. I'm sure I would have gotten frustrated before I got to the woods because I was walking around blind.

I've been to B&B. I'll buy pipe tobacco there but that's about it. Their customer service doesn't hold a candle to Rod at SLS. Unfortunately, B&B is going to be my only choice after January 1st.

I buy guns and ammo from Scheels but that's about it. Those guys screw up more bows (and arrow assembly) than I would have the patience to deal with. I saw a guy walk into Siouxland Sports with a bow that he purchased and had set up at Scheels and his nocking point was so high that my jaw dropped when I saw him at full draw. They're phenomenal when it comes to screwing up the simplest procedures (like installing inserts on aluminum arrows). Nope. I wouldn't be caught dead dealing in Scheels' archery department. I like their gun/ammo selection and they have some good outdoor gear and clothing but those are the only things I'll buy there.

Is Larry's Archery Barn any good? Do they sell Bowtech bows?

IAdroptine--You wouldn't happen to make a living from photography would you? I may have bumped into you recently. Might have signed your guestbook the other day?

I understand your displeasure with Scheels. The arrow building there is left to the guys in the bike dept. belive it or not
confused.gif
I'm a Mathews shooter so I don't have a choice when it comes to WHERE to buy. SLS is a great place to hang out.... if you can stand the smoke
smile.gif
The service there is great.

If you have anymore questions, there's a bunch of us here on the site to walk you through problems. I'm always looking for new people to shoot with, so feel free to PM me. I have a pretty open schedule and could always find time to fling a few arrows. Good luck and good hunting.

I'm from the area too. My dad bought his bow at Briar & Bow. I don't know why. They told him what "he wanted" & what he was going to buy. If you didn't totaly agree & say "yes", it made the young dude irritated. We have never been back.
I bought my bow & both Dad & I got ours serviced at Southern Archery in Spencer, Iowa. Nice guys in there, & willing to listen to the customer. Well worth the 100 mile drive. (better than a crappy 20 mile drive)
grin.gif

You could try Dakota Archery in Yankton, South Dakota too. Those guys are very good. Maybe you'll get to meet Ted Nugent, he stops in there from time to time.

Before SLS came to Sioux City I made the trip to Bledsoe Archery in Sioux Falls. I have had bad experiences with Briar&Bow and will never walk thru that door again. I have bought arrows from Bledsoe for atleast 20 years which are all crested and good looking and his service is top notch. He has been in the business for many years and knows his stuff. If you travel in that direction it is worth the stop, his business is out of his basement and it is not very far from the new Scheels. If you need the address I can get it for you. As far as Larrys Archery Barn I have never heard anything bad about it, if that helps you out.

Larry's Archery Barn put on a SWEET 3-D shoot this year that I was able to attend. I had JUST started shooting my bow and decided to mess around with Turbo Nocks instead of traditional fletching. Bad mistake. My arrows were EVERYWHERE. I lost like 6 arrows that day and Vapors are expensive to be losing that many in a day!

I heard that the Nuge stops at Dakota Archery in Yankton, SD once in awhile. I may have to pay a visit to that place. If it's good enough for the Nuge then it's good enough for me. However, I'm hankering for one of those new Bowtech Defender VFT's and I won't be able to afford one until the end of January. I'd like to buy a bow from a pro-shop that I can frequent. I may end up having to go back to Minnesota to get a Bowtech unless Southern Archery sells them.

I'll admit that I have mixed feelings about southern archery and the way Ted wanted the whole thing to be hidden from SLS customers about the shop closing and all but I may have to do that if I want a Bowtech.

SLS is the only place they sell Blackhawk Vapor arrows unless I order them through Scheels. I'd rather not but I may have to. I don't have any fletching tools (so much to buy around the holidays) but I like my arrows to be crested and fletched with the cresting and fletching of my choice and I don't want to be limited to someone else's selection. Rod at SLS would let me buy the shafts from them and bring in my own EZ-Wraps and feathers and pay a small fee to have them crested and fletched.

P.S. I've shared many a cigarette and cup of coffee with Rod at SLS so I can handle the smoke.

id, I work for a living but photography is yet another vice.

Hope all you guys can slip in if we ever get a "Get together" on board.

Mike

Shirts and Shooters in Le Mars. He'll do right by you every time and he'll remember your name when you walk in. It's a mom and pop operation so you know the money is at least staying in the community.
laugh.gif

DLO--Oh...no offense at all. It wasn't until I had been visiting SLS that I thought about how all that cigarette smoke would be annoying to customers. No wonder nobody buys hunting clothes there heh heh heh.....

Loesshillshunter--I used to live up in Sioux Center and did a good bit of business with Shirts'N'Shooters quite a bit in my early 20's. I forgot they sell bows and believe they have an archery range indoors too!

Indoor range upstairs, D!ck will even come up with you to watch you and give pointers if you're having problems. The guy has probably forgotten more about shooting bows than many of us will ever know.

Top Bottom