Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Any tips on bowhunting crp fields?

mu1147

One of the places I hunt has an eighty acre field of switch grass (3-6 feet tall). I have found where the bigger bucks are bedding out in the middle of the field and the main trails they are using to get to a five acre corn food plot. The problem is there are no trees between the two areas and the grass is to tall to use a ground blind because you have no visability and I don't want to shoot through the grass because it is thick. I am thinking of building a small table to get me two to three feet of the ground and putting the grass aroung the sides so I can sit on a chair and be hidden, but then that grass would bee a good three to four feet taller than the rest, I am worried they would notice the difference. I would like to hears your thoughts or suggestions on ideas for hunting theis spot because I have seen some pretty bucks in this area and they don't tend to leave the grass except after dark.

your Idea should work great, just get it in now, and the deer will be none the wiser come next October.I hunt some switchgrass as well, one other problem i have is getting to my spot without being spotted by deer.Bucks in grass often bed on the highest points and have a great view of there surroundings.

Buy or build a 6 foot tripod stand and camo the thing with Fast Grass or grass from the area and put it out now like Bradsbucks said before me. Some folks will even just pack in a step ladder and set it up in standing corn and have real good results with it. Just don't move much while hunting......

here's a trick i used once to bowhunt a cattail area.

go out to your trails that you want to hunt. dig a hole large enough to allow you to put your feet in and then sit on the lip of the hole. make it large enough that you could kneel in it if you wanted to. a sort of impromptu pit blind. you keep your body low and yet don't have to kneel down and cause stress on your legs. one of those swivel type boat seats with a back could make all the difference in the world on your back then too. your only problem would be spotting deer coming towards you. if you were ambitios you could dig a hole where you could stand in it and be able to see and then have a shallower hole to allow you to shoot out of while sitting or something. i think this would be your best bet. you could dig multiple pit blinds for different wind directions too.

good luck.

Top Bottom