Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anybody else got this problem?

BrewCrew

MDGC0055.jpg

They are killing my batteries, dominating the corn, and just plain pissin me off. I have had them before but never at this number.. They are there 24/7 at 4 of my sites.. Its ridiculous, they can eat 50lbs in a night. Its not even giving the deer a chance to find it lol. Any suggestions??? I tried setting the camera up a higher but it ruined the series.

Any suggestions???

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
hoofline.gif
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BBQ [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Raccoon[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]One 4 to 6 pound raccoon, cut into serving pieces[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 cup red wine[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 onions, sliced[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3 bay leaves[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 tablespoon salt[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 teaspoon pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3 cloves garlic, sliced[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 cups of your favorite barbecue sauce[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 tablespoons paprika[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Place the meat pieces in a large pan. Add wine, onions, bay leaves, salt, pepper and garlic. Add enough water to cover the meat. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Place raccoon meat in a lightly greased baking dish. Mix barbecue sauce and paprika together and pour over the meat. Cook at 325 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes.[/FONT]

hoofline.gif

Last edited:
I'll be down this fall with my hounds!!! Geez, that's a pile of coon! Live traps and relocation or "swimming lessons" is about all you can do but unless approved by the DNR must be done in season. Maybe switch to minerals instead of corn?

Build a feeder. Build a simple platform knee high. They might still get some, but it will make it alot harder.

I agree with a few others. Either build a feeder or try a mineral of some kind. I'm not a huge fan of minerals just because they infest the soil for such a long time after they're gone, but might not have much choice at this point. Some cheap pvc can build a sweet feeder though, I've done it many a time. Good luck though, them rascals are gonna be tough to be rid of!

I have had this same problem. I'm taking hundreds of pictures of these guys as well and its making me irritated, but i guess at least I know the camera is working.

I was thinking like Xpuncher, one coon should be worth 1-2 bushels of corn come november.

My neighbor had this problem around his farm a couple of years ago, he fed them rat poisin for about a week and thinned them out. He was seeing over 20 at a time and went through over $100 worth of poisin. Obviously you would have to put it in an enclosure where the coons can get it but not the deer.

Fleshed and stretched maybe $14-15 average, sold green maybe$7-8.

The fur market crashed last year (along with everything else). I didn't average $10 on my IA/IL coons last year, and some still haven't sold. For WV you would probably be lucky to get $3-5 green and $7-8 finished. Expect populations to increase because not many people are going to trap them this year.

Brew Crew...how's your turkey population out there? We have the same problem and are starting to wonder if they are the major culprits. If your population is strong I may have to start looking at other causes.

Top Bottom