Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anybody ever hunt in........

[ QUOTE ]
I gotta ask. What is up with the black cheek patches? I will be goat hunting in October and would like to be informed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Nebraskawhitetail said the cheek patches are a gland. They smell a little like sage maybe, but not really like anything else. Its a unique odor for sure. We noticed that the longer we smelled those suckers the more it started to drive us nuts, its weird. In 2000 we stuck their heads in trash bags so as not to transfer the smell into the vehicles carpet, and in 2002 we came prepaired with one of those hitch carriers to get them back to town for the check-in. I wish all my pics werent locked up in my crashed computer, I have a great shot of two goats on the rack behind my old 'burban.
Antelope are a blast to hunt and you get to see a ton of them as well as some different country. I like to go again and try with a bow.

[ QUOTE ]

In 2000 we stuck their heads in trash bags so as not to transfer the smell into the vehicles carpet.

[/ QUOTE ]

You musta had holes in the bag so you didn't smother.
grin.gif

NebWhitetail,

I have been to that exact area near Medicine Bow/Laramie. It is a beautiful place and I saw a ton of great goats! Nice job, I am glad somone is taking advantage of the area.

Hey my 4th Block teacher is heading out west to hunt antelope. He is pry the coolest teacher ever. In class we talk about hunting most of the time. It keeps me awake thats for sure.
laugh.gif
anyway good luck! And let us know how you did.

They stink like rotten sage brush.

I put my cape in a cooler two years ago to keep it from spoiling for a shoulder mount and my cooler still smells like goat.

That being said they are a rush to hunt. Your probably a tad early for the breeding season, but water holes and spot and stalk techniques work well. You will know if they are in rut or not. They will run across the prairie, stop, qaut and pee like a big old buck out in the middle of knowwhere. Kind of neat. You will like their snort too the first time one winds you.

Have Fun!

And if you're lucky, you'll get to see a couple of bucks fighting. Just sit back and watch the hair fly. If you thought whitetail bucks were agressive with each other during the rut, just wait!

Oh I am pumped, believe me. If one walks within 70 yards it is gonna wish it hadn't
smile.gif
I just hope to see one of the dang things
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Oh I am pumped, believe me. If one walks within 70 yards it is gonna wish it hadn't
smile.gif
I just hope to see one of the dang things
grin.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Goodluck Liv! It's been 36 years since I hunted them, lot of fun but the nastiest tasting meat I ever ate.
Sure nothing like a cornfed deer
grin.gif

Have you ever been to western neb? Its pretty crazy. There is now driving around a section if you get out in the hills. It might be 40 miles between roads. Then sometimes a road might be a 30 mile paved driveway. Good luck They are a blast to hunt. I have never tried it with a bow before.

My mount still has a little stink from its cheek. (5yrs. ago) I agree with those above about cacti, my buddy had to pull needles out of my bum with his leatherman.....thanks Jeff. A hairy butt in your face can't be much fun
laugh.gif
Good luck to those who are going this year. Wish I was.I didn't draw in Okla. this year.....again.

Top Bottom