Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anyone Ever Hunt On Skunk River?

Northstar

I've got permission to hunt on a chunck of timber (160 acres) along the skunk river in east Lee County, Iowa.

It's on the south side of the river.

Basically it's a large chunk of timber with some narrow funnels on both sides of it along the river.

There is a dike and then farmground to the south also.

It's about 3/4 mile of Skunk River frontage.

Any suggestions would be great. I'm use to hunting hilly country and am not use to river bottom.

Thanks!

That area you are talking about has many spots that allow public hunting (not state owned but either electric company or Lee county conservation), if you look real close you'll see many areas with signs there in your exact location saying hunting allowed, I know the dikes you are talking about. Electric company owns much of it and it gets slammed pretty hard (low amount of mature deer because of pressure). Also, much of that area floods as you know. If you go by some of the areas right now, you'd need a canoe. Good luck though if you do go out there.

I'm pretty sure your talking about the Green Bay bottoms along the Skunk near Wever. I live about 5 miles from there. It gets hunted pretty hard in Shotgun season but i havent heard of many people hunting it during Bow. I know last year there was 2 160+ bucks taken in the same drive in that area.

Theres a guy down there at owns "ol miss" he is a big time bow hunter he was in a magazine a while back for shooting two monter bucks in the same year and one of them came from the green bay bottoms. I hunt private ground on top the bluff and alot of deer cross the highway and go down to the bottoms at night during rut.

If you end up going down there, keep your eyes open for arrowheads. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom