Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anyone Finding Dead Deer???

nontyp

I've been hearing a lot about EHD/Blue tongue lately and it seems to be worse this year than most years. I read that Drurys have already found 13 dead deer on their property. I'm just curious/worried if anyone else is finding dead deer?

I haven't but I have most of my stand prep done (did it last fall and early this spring) so I haven't been tromping around my hunting areas much.

Bluetongue virus and Epizootic-Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD) virus are closely related viruses, spread by biting insects which are capable of causing a rapidly fatal disease in deer. The clinical diseases are indistinguishable and both are known as "Herrhagic Disease". Pretty good summary fact sheet found by Googling "EHD Deer".

Anyone know:

- If a deer gets EHD, is there any chance the deer could recover?

- I have a ton of ponds on my farm & I have better rain than many areas. Could I be in a better situation than other areas?

I have found 3 dead fawns, 2 by water. I am not sure if it's coyotes or EHD. Obviously folks, keep a close eye out for vultures- that's how I've found these 3 deer.

From what ive read ther are several strains of the virus. Some are more lethal than others but it will usually kill the deer. You will often find dead deer near water because the high fever caused by EHD makes them seek water.

While out prepping areas for fall plots I could smell the unmistakeable stench of death coming from the dried up creek last night I didn't have time to investigate but will do so this weekend. I've been keeping an eye out for dead deer near water sources and have yet to find anything. However, with the circling buzzards I saw over the old pond and the smell coming from the creek I fear I will find the first casualties on the farm soon.

Some deer will survive EHD. If you shoot a deer later this fall with distinct rings around their feet an inch or so below the top, that's likely caused by surviving EHD about now.

I have found four dead bucks in the last week all near water or in the river, A 9,11,14,and16 point bucks. I live in Coles county Illinois, DNR, gave me salvage tags said it is bad all over the state. Seems like it is getting the older bigger deer the most.

Found our first one floating yesterday in western Iowa. Sounds like its closing in on us.

Top Bottom