Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anyone have a Moultre Digital

M

mikedeer

I am looking to get a new camera and want it to be a digital. I saw that wal-mart has a Moultre DIgital for about $100. Anyone have any positive or negitives about this digital cam.

I have a little advise for you! I am not trying to be a jerk so dont take this the wrong way. Dont waste your money on those cheap cams!!! save your money till you have enough to get a good cam, like a Vman Cam or a Cuddeback. They will stand behind there cams and if anything happens to them they will get ya fixed up, the cheap ones will have you send the cam in and it will take months to get it back and then something else goes wrong and you cam ends up spending more time in the shop then in the woods, thats not right. You do what you want, im just telling you how i see it. I had a CHEAP cam once too, it is now at the landfill. Now i own 2 Cuddebacks, and am thinking about having Vman build me another.

Just being curious, I did a search on this website with Moultrie as the subject, searched back a year. You might want to do the same.

Ditto to IAbowhunter18. I used to buy the cheap stuff too. Its not worth it!! I bought a cudde, you wont regret spending a couple hundred more!!

Check out my post "Mineral Lick Pic's"
Those were all taken by the cheapo Moultrie. It works fine for me, but it does trigger slower than the Cuddie's.
Bruce

Hi everybody.. I am new to this site, but found this to be the perfect opportunity to jump in and share my experience with Moultrie cameras. I have three of the cheaper Wal Mart versions and until 2 weeks ago I was using the 1.3MP camo Game Spy. In the process of changing the photo card and battery, the camera quit working which was very disappointing. I had been using it for about 10 months and was very happy with it. I have attached a link to one of my better pictures from last summer (haven't figured out how to add pics here yet):

http://www.themidwesthunter.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1&limit=views

Anyways.... I contacted Moultrie to see about getting it fixed and they told me to send it in and they would take a look at it. That was a week ago Tuesday. Guess what? Last night the UPS man dropped off a package that contained a brand-new camo 3.1MP camera as a replacemnent for the one I sent in. As you can imagine, I am more than impressed with their customer service and will forever be happy to remain a customer of a business that is willing to stand behind their products.

As others have noted, the trigger speed may be a little slower than some, but if you can arrange these cameras to catch the deer walking towards or away from it, rather than across, you should have nothing to worry about. These cameras are especially good in mineral lick situations.

I have to disagree. We have 2 Moultries and they are great. Just don't buy the GameSpy 100 model. It- well- pretty much sucks. The GameSpy 200 is deffinately worth the buy though. Never had a problem with any except for the 100. Plus, save your reciept and if it fails soon, bring it back and get an upgrade when they come out with new ones---heck, even if it doesn't fail get an upgrade if it seems worth it.

HunterMan
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

Cabelas has an exsclusive Moultrie 4.1 MP that will expand to a 1 GB card for $150.00 alot of bang for the "buck"
grin.gif
(in my opinion) The solar panel is only $21.00. If anybody tries this let us know how it does. It just came available the 15th.

I set out one of the 4.1 MP Moultries a week ago. Plan to check it in about ten days. Saving gas for the hunting season. One nice feature is the external solar panel connectors. Took some pictures in the backyard and was satisfied with them. Right out of the box one of the circuit boards was disconnected such that the usb and memory card receptacles were misaligned. However, it was easy to take apart and fix. Otherwise no problems.

First time I checked my Moultrie 4.1 it had 179 pictures of grass, a few with a tractor going by. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but I figure it had to do with my tripod design which allowed the camera to move in the wind. I once had this happen with a 35mm camera from a different manufacturer. It only happened with one role of film and has worked ever since. It's best to avoid camera movement or even moving vegetation in close proximity during 90 degree weather. The second time around I only got 3 pictures of deer, no false triggers. Again my fault; there was not a lot of traffic at that location. So far picture quality and battery life are excellent. Trigger speed seems good, at least without the flash. The camera was on a trail and all of the does were centered in the picture. It consistently takes pictures of me out 30+ feet. A friend also purchased one of these cams and is very happy with it. The only issue I know of is the saucer eyes similar to the GS200. I've since relocated my camera to a better location. It is now set up on an adjustable 2"x2" post mount with rechargeable battery and solar panel. Hope to get some more pics in a couple of weeks. I also put out a new Cuddeback Excite for comparison.

I have been using the $100 Moultrie Digital for about a year now. The first couple of times I put it out, I didn't get any pictures. I have since made some changes to the way I set it up and it has made a tremendous difference in getting decent pictures.

First, I had the camera too high on the tree, now I place the camera about 2 feet high as opposed to 3+ feet.

Second, I place whole or cracked corn down about 5 feet in front of the camera since the trigger speed on these camera's are slow. I'm sure there are still some instances where the camera doesn't trigger, but I'm still getting about 200 decent pictures in 2 weeks of timber time.

I also use a quality battery such as Energizer or Duracell. I have tried the cheap Rayovac batteries and the camera would take 1 day's worth of pictures and quit. I haven't had this problem since switching to a better (more expensive) battery. I've had great results for what I got into the camera. I wouldn't mind trying a Cuddeback sometime, but I can't justify it with the Moultrie giving me such good pictures.

PH

I also have been using two $100 digital Moultrie cams. Once you learn how to place them and where to use them, i think they are good digitals for the price. I always set the Moultrie's up in front of my mineral lick because of the slow trigger speed and i also put the camera facing a trail instead of a crossing trail shot. I usually end up getting 100-150 pictures in about 2-3 weeks. I like them!

I have two of them. They are no cuddeback by any means but I like them. For one thing, the slower trigger speeds don't bother me when using them over bear baits. Plus, they are prone to being lifted by someone who is coming in to look at your bait.

For deer, I have also gotten good results using them over mineral licks and scrapes. The slow trigger speeds makes them iffy when using on trails, but if you point them down the trail a ways they usually get a pic. I think they are a good cam for the money.

Top Bottom