Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ANYONE HUNTING IN THE ST. LUCAS AREA?

mnachrei

I'M COMING DOWN AGAIN FOR THE ANNUAL OPENER OF SLUG SEASON AND WAS THE WONDERING WHAT THE DEER ACTIVITY WAS LIKE AROUND THERE. I HUNT BY THE TURKEY RIVER IF THAT HELPS ANY. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Bring alot of slugs and a strong heart because I guarantee that you will see alot of does and you just never know what will come out of the brush!!
I have a friend who shot a 180 inch 10 pointer between Eldorado and St. Lucas and that is after he let 58 does and 6 small bucks walk. That was only about 4 miles from St. Lucas. If you don't mind me asking who are you hunting with I probably know them?
Good Luck and remeber don't forget extra slugs you will need them if you are shooting does.
biggun.gif
rambo.gif

I've also saw just a ton of deer in the area, 180 sure is a nice one! Saw a lot of does last weekend, and a few small bucks, but theres always some big guys around there! Good luck, let us know how you do, I usually hunt around waucoma.
Dave

dave. i expect you will NOT be sitting in Porkys during shotgun season.
31045-cheers2.gif
Will you??

I hunted the area between festina and st. lucas for a few years but the buck to doe ratio is terrible. Lots and lots of does. And big shotgun groups that shoot many deer that shouldn't get shot. Maybe that will change this year. A very good area though with lots of potential.

Your avatar pic looks to me like the bridge at Praire. Am I right? It sure looks like your sitting on the wing damb I spent some time at this summer....
peace.gif

Good guess on the wingdam, lol! I've spent a few mornings there myself. The fish in the pic was 23.5" And as for me being in porky's, umm, nope, not til afterward, lol. Guess the guys back home saw a good one around our stomping grounds last weekend. I may head up north and hunt by bluffton and burr oak on sunday, hard to say. Good luck to everybody!
Dave

good area's. there's some big timbers up there. i think you could almost walk all the way to the river from there and never leave the timber.

actually i hunt with my dad brother and some of my dads friends. we hunt on land owned by a guy the name of Mark Ditzenbach. do you know him? so there are alotta deer around. thats not unusual from what i hear most of the time. i wanna see that big bruiser just like everyone else though!!! thanks alot guys.

I DON'T KNOW HIM BUT I KNOW WHERE HE LIVES. I USED TO HUNT ALONG THE TURKEY RIVER IN A FEW DIFFERENT TIMBERS. I WATCHED A GROUP OF SHOTGUNNERS ONE TIME PUSH A WOODS AND I SWEAR THEY MUST HAVE MOVED 40 DEER OUT OF THERE IN ONE DRIVE AND NEVER GOT A SHOT. FROM MY VANTAGE POINT ON A HILL A 1/4 MILE AWAY I SAW ALL THE DEER LEAVE THE WOODS, HEAD TO THE RIVER AND ESCAPE UNSCATHED. I TALKED TO THEM AFTER THE DRIVE WAS OVER AND ASKED THEM HOW THE HUNTING WAS GOING AND I REMEMBER THEM SAYING THEY COULDN'T BELIEVE THEY WENT THROUGH THAT WOODS AND NEVER SAW ANYTHING. I JUST SNICKERED TO MYSELF AND DIDN'T TELL THEM WHAT I SAW..........
evil.gif

I also know of mark, dont know him personally though. I've done a lot of hunting around the area as well. And I've seen some pretty dumb shotgun hunters to, lol. Good luck hunting!

I almost forgot, have you ever saw that waterfall by his place, I think its on his property, its right on the snowmobile trail. It's pretty neat.

yah i know exactly where that waterfall is. ive seen it myself. mark showed us one day. how come you were on his land were you snowmobiling or hunting? i love it so much down there for hunting. you have a bad day there if you don't see 30 plus deer from a stand it seems. all us minnesota shotgunners seem to think this but if we see 5 deer a day sitting you had an alright day. we get spoiled coming there and hunting. even if you see 20 does to buck ratio its alotta fun to have action at all parts of a day.

The snowmobile trail runs right by there, and I fish the area to sometimes. 30 deer, last year I bet I saw over 100 each day, lol. Make sure you let us know how you do!
Dave

i'll let u guys know how the hunting goes. i ended a nice 9 pointer's days last year on the 2nd day of the hunt. we'll have to wait and see what happens this year.

Top Bottom