Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anyone know??

I'm not much of a target archer but I know Bill speaks highly on having a surprise release. More of a push/pull release. I try to do this when I shoot spot leagues and 3d shoots but when there's live game I wanna know when the arrow's gonna go.

Again I have the greatest respect there is for Bill but I really feel for him when this keeps happening.

I will leave the arm chair quaterbacking to others. I'm sure 99.99999% have not had a 200 inch deer walk into bow range so who knows how any will react. I would be a mess watching it for a hour. Plus, he has to worry about if its on camera, camera man telling him wait wait, no , no shooting through a small window. There are endless details we dont know. Honestly, the man must have had a thousand things racing though his head especially talking back and forth with the camera man.

We should be grateful that Winke shows the way it is and tells it the way it went down with minimal editing. He tells us what he was thinking what might have went wrong etc.... I hope no one thinks these other popular "pro" hunters on TV never wound a deer. We will never see the light of day of those hunts.

I will leave the arm chair quaterbacking to others. I'm sure 99.99999% have not had a 200 inch deer walk into bow range so who knows how any will react. I would be a mess watching it for a hour. Plus, he has to worry about if its on camera, camera man telling him wait wait, no , no shooting through a small window. There are endless details we dont know. Honestly, the man must have had a thousand things racing though his head especially talking back and forth with the camera man.

We should be grateful that Winke shows the way it is and tells it the way it went down with minimal editing. He tells us what he was thinking what might have went wrong etc.... I hope no one thinks these other popular "pro" hunters on TV never wound a deer. We will never see the light of day of those hunts.

AMEN!!!! :way::way:

Amen x2. Never have attempted to video any of my hunts but I know I have a hard enough time even when I am keeping it simple.

I agree 100%. It definitely would not be easy trying to hold it all together. I'm more or less discussing why he misses or hits high so much. :way:

No doubt about it, Bill is a class act, and I appreciate that he shares the whole truth. When I started bowhunting as a kid, I had multiple sight pins, and would draw, and drop the bow down onto the deer as I aimed. The bottom pins are for the greatest distance. As soon as I had a pin on the chest cavity, I'd hit the release...you all know what happens then. I hit high, or shot over the deer's back. As a result, I went to one pin. As someone said above, keep it simple. It works great for me! Bill has to make a change in technique. BUT, let's all remember this...he could have shot that buck the first night out with a gun.

How many other "pro" hunters in the business would show what Bill does? Midwest Whitetails and Bill are a breath of fresh air compared to anything else out there. I can learn more in a 13 minute episode than in a whole season of the crap that shows weekly on cable.......I can't even believe there are people on here discussing his shooting technique.....name me any other hunter that has killed more or bigger bucks than Bill this year....I look forward to every Monday episode...thanks Bill !

How many other "pro" hunters in the business would show what Bill does? Midwest Whitetails and Bill are a breath of fresh air compared to anything else out there. I can learn more in a 13 minute episode than in a whole season of the crap that shows weekly on cable.......I can't even believe there are people on here discussing his shooting technique.....name me any other hunter that has killed more or bigger bucks than Bill this year....I look forward to every Monday episode...thanks Bill !
I agree his show is a great one, and I check it every day for his nightly blog and updates from him and the staff. He is a great hunter and knows how to get on the deer. He had a great year with some giants on his farm. I'm not taking anything away from him in that aspect, but have you seen all the shots he put on the deer? Daggers obviously ducked a little, but I still would have been holding lower. G-5 he was kneeling and said his bow hit his stand, so I understand that. And double G-4 he just plain shot high. He has done this in the past as well. Again he had an amazing year and harvested some true deer of a lifetime, but there is something to be said when every shot this year was quite a bit high of its mark.

Maybe it's a Hoyt thing?:grin:

I miss the days when Bill was not backed by a bow sponsor. He did some great bow reviews published in Peterson's Bowhunting Mag, and I even used one as a reference for an engineering paper I wrote in 1993.

I really enjoy watching the show and learning from Bill. In my opinion, each shooting "mishap" appears unrelated and they just summarize the many different things that can go wrong when bowhunting, especially with the added complications of a camera man. He has killed A LOT of bucks and does with perfect shots. It seems that in a situation where many of us would miss completely, he is only inches off, resulting in these unfortunate cases of a wounded animal. Just an unfortunate part of the sport...

seems like a lot of you guys have forgotten a key detail Bill slipped in during his commentary on what may have happened...besides the fact that he got pretty jacked up.

He said in the heat of the battle...he "Put his 30yd pin on him and touched it off"...I'm sure all of us have used a wrong pin before, I did something similar last year on a spot and stalk. A 30yd pin on an animal at 20-25yds will result in a high shot/miss everytime, even if everything else is PERFECT!

I feel we have the right to speculate on what he may or may not be doing right/wrong...so long as it helps us learn things to use when we're faced with the same shot situation and it's done so respectively.

I personally don't think Bill's problem has anything to do with the way he's shooting or where he's aiming. All of his high shots over the past couple years have been independent/situational occurances. I don't think any two of them have been the same. He certainly doesn't need to beat himself up and change the way he's shooting...that could be counter-productive. I agree with JJ about the release, but I have no idea what release Bill is/was using. I prefer the trigger release while hunting so I know when it goes off...doesn't make me more correct, it's just what I prefer.

The biggest issue in this situation doesn't come with a simple solution. If us hunters didn't get the "nerved-up" adrealine rush while hunting we wouldn't enjoy our sport as much (IMO). If anyone know how to keep the nerves calm when watching a world class animal work to within bow-range over an hour in the making while trying to capture it all on video...then be sure to let us know. I've had skin-heads get me all worked up like that...part of why they call it 'hunting' and not 'killing".

thanks to Bill for providing such insight into the world of the Double G-4 buck. I sure hope he picks up his sheds and brings us the final chapter in 10-months!!!:way::way::way:

I think bill is a great guy and a hell of a deer hunter.

But he is not superman. A guy can miss every once in awhile. He gets more shots at mature bucks than half of the guys on this site, hes bound to screw up.

But he is definitely a bundle of nerves. :D

I am willing to bet a million dollars that I would have killed that buck. I would darn near gaurantee it.................... BECAUSE I WOULD HAVE HAD A GUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to him for having the balls to have the stick and string in hand.
168584-slow_clap.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Thomas' website.... icanhascheezburger....

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Thomas' website.... icanhascheezburger....

Did you think I wouldn't find this????/ I am always watching Nicky... always..............

I might show up at your door with a 55 gall...... well never mind...

:moon:

Top Bottom