Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anyone planting grapes?

Old Buck

Life Member
For years I've been thinking about planting domestic grapes in my dozer piles. Anyone tried that? Also just saw that the same place that sells the Autumn Olive sells wild grape starts. Sounds interesting. Any experience there?

I have heard of people planting grapes at the base of their tower stands. Over the years the vines turn old windmills and tower stand legs into brushy vining natural camo. I guess I've never heard how deer react to grapes as a food source though.

[ QUOTE ]
For years I've been thinking about planting domestic grapes in my dozer piles. Anyone tried that? Also just saw that the same place that sells the Autumn Olive sells wild grape starts. Sounds interesting. Any experience there?

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't bought any but I dig them up and plant them next to my ground blinds, brush piles or downed trees. The darn stuff keeps coming up around my mailbox of all places so I haven't needed to order any!
grin.gif

My college roommate is starting a small commercial grape orchard in Polk county. He isn't a hunter and cusses the deer attracting qualities of his grapes. Of course, I'm sure they would be most attracted to them primarily outside of the hunting season.

NWBuck

I am thinking about planting grapes and gourds this spring. I was'nt going to tell anybody because they would think I was crazy but maybe not. I know the deer eat grapes, my mother grows gourds and the deer eat on them in the early stages. I will plant them under the fence row. Why not!!!

Have a buddy with grapes, can't keep deer out but his grapes in the summer grapes are done by hunting season so no attraction at that time. Would be good for summer trail cam set up.

I'm trying to make my place a year long attraction for all kinds of wildlife. Plus the idea of eating sun warmed grapes off the vine sounds good.
grin.gif

Top Bottom