Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anyone planting grapes?

Old Buck

Life Member
dbltree brought up something in the fruit tree post that I've been wanting to try for a long time. Anyone planting grapes for wildlife? I used to have grape vines on an arbor at my old house in town and they produced like crazy. I'm thinking about starting some concord grapes on brush piles, girdled trees, cattle panels, etc. What do you guys think? Maybe the grapes will ferment about November and I can hunt drunk and sex crazed bucks!
grin.gif

I want to plant them at the base of my tower blinds. Long as full sun hits them I'd think it would work fine.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking about starting some concord grapes on brush piles, girdled trees, cattle panels, etc. What do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's a great idea! Provides great cover and food source for a wide variety of wildlife!
Not sure about the "drunk" bucks...but hey it's worh a shot!
grin.gif

Speaking of drunk bucks... I believe I have witnessed this multiple times in the past. We used to live on an acreage just outside of town that had about 30+ apple, pear, cherry, etc trees in the yard. (It was a wonderful property, the house was a doozy though!)

The deer would come into the yard after dark once the apples started to ripen in the early fall to gorge themselves. Invariably though, not all of the apples fell to the ground and about a month later there would be mini-feast when a strong wind or me shaking them or whatever knocked the remaining, now very rotten, apples from the trees. At that point the deer would show up in broad daylight to get those last apples of the year and I seriously watched them stumble and stagger their way out of the yard more than once after they had been eating those rotten apples. One little buck I remember kind of walked sideways across the driveway and almost walked into the mailbox, etc, on his way back into the woods.

So ripe apples are a prime attraction, but an even better one is a batch of rotten apples a month or so later when food is getting a little more scarce too.

Does B&C have any restrictions about taking a buck "under the influence"??
grin.gif
(that might be the only way I could get one
smirk.gif
)

Top Bottom