Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anyone seeing rutting activity?

Old Buck

Life Member
It seems like this should be about the time doe fawns would be coming into heat. Is anyone seeing an increase in rutting activity? I've got some scrapes that are getting renewed attention.

Old Buck

Old Buck, I was out patrolling my property last weekend. Sat in my truck where it would be highly visible to anyone cruising the back roads and proceeded to pass the time glassing my creek bottom. About 9:00 am two does busted out of the creek bottom with a dandy 4x4 chasing them. He was hot on their trai. Thirty minutes later I saw a yearling buck chasing two does. This was in north-central Van Buren County.

Old Buck, On Sunday last weekend I saw a doe with a fawn that was being chased around by a little 6 point, the doe, not the fawn was being chased. The doe bedded 30 yards from me and the buck was pawing at her back, I mean almost kicking her trying to get her to stand up. My brother came by soon after and scared the three deer off, but the buck was definitely more concerned with the doe then all of the hunters in the woods. And this was just west of Albia so not too far from you. The wierd thing is, I bowhunted the first 3 weekends in November in Monroe County and didn't see a single buck chasing a doe.

Old Buck, I saw a small 8 chasing a fawn on 12-9-02 and on the 10th I watch a large group of deer, 35+, with at least three buck pushing individual does around this crowded alfalfa field. It was a strange sight for me. This herd had exited a game reserve adjacent to my place after I had shot a doe about a 1/4 mile away. But instead of run for the hills as soon as they hit the open field they just started milling around. Looked like a hunting video from Montana I had watched at one time. I watch from about 300 yards, standing in the open, for a few minutes then decided to see if I could get them to move toward my hunting partner. They had their own ideas. It was a sight I won't soon forget!!

I saw some activity the last day of 1 split bow season, they were chasing the young ones, seems this was the time i was seeing the big big boys, im talking real big. But hopefully it will be still in gear when i go back out here saturday for some filming

Pheasant hunting on Monday afternoon bumped a basket 8 bedded w/ a small doe, seemed a bit peculiar for this time of year. Wish I would've bumped a rooster or two. I think my dog is starting to wonder if we're hunting or taking a nature hike with guns and blaze orange.

I saw a hugh 12 pointer just before gun season. He was chasing a smaller buck away from three does. Also this past week I started to get some buck activity on the trail cams again. I also am starting to get groups of bucks again. They were checking out the scraps though. Most have been smaller bucks. I did get one I cant make out all the details but he looks big and was with a smaller buck. All of these have been at night.

Top Bottom