Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

API - The Grand Slam "Super Star" Climbing Stand

CornDude

I just purchased an API Grand Slam Climber. Have any of you guys used these climbing stands? If so, are you pleased with how they setup and climb? How they carry to your location?
It would be great to hear your comments!

if you have the grand slam super star then you gotta great stand if you asked me. why? because i have one and becauase i've pretty much hunted strictly out of this stand since i bought it. have taken 2 does and 2 bucks in the past 2 seasons with my climber. i love the fold up shooting rest on it for muzzleloader season. i take if off during bow season though.

We have a Grand Slam Supreme and have hunted with it for 5 or 6 years. High quality stuff. The shrink tube is all wore off my chain and it has become a little awkward, I'd like to recover the chain but I understand API has gone out of bussiness. I think its a great stand but right now it's number three on my list. First I'd grab the Lone Wolf, second the Oldman and then the Grand Slam.
waytogo.gif

API is not out of business. they got bought out. i think that if you wanted to replace the tubing on the chain you could dip it in plasti-dip an you'd be good to go. deadeyes dad did that and it works like a charm.

ironwood,
I remember went I first joined this website somebody posting a great replacement material that you could purchase at Menards or someplace. I can't remember what sort of tubing it was and don't have the time right now to search for the exact post. Maybe somebody else will find what I was referring to. Think it would take a boat load of rubber dip to make it nice, but it probably would work real well once it was finished.

Ok I lied here is the link

oh yeah... I have an older API also and think it is decent. My shoulder straps are not as nice as Muddy's. The tighter (the higher it rides on your back) the easier it is to carry. With a few slight modifications it can be quite nice. I took 1 inch (i think) pipe insulation and slit and wrapped around the metal on the upper part of the stand. I taped it on with electrical tape to hold it on. This makes it padded and will help dampen any noise. I also tied my metal pins to the stand with a little bit on string so that way if you need to adjust the length of the straps in the tree you won't drop them and be SOL. I also am going to take a piece of the similar line and attach to the elastic strap that goes around your boot and to the upper piece of the stand. I always have problems getting bent over that far with all my gear and hookin my feet in.

Ironwood,

Muddy is right. Bass Pro Shops now own API. You can find API products on the Bass Pro Shop website.

Hey Ironwood
I just replaced the tubing on mine this year. There are alot of different ways to do it. I chose 5/8 in washer hose. You have to boil it a few minutes to get the chain through but I like it much better then the plastic. It makes it much quiter when climbing and especially when carring it in. I used to always hear those chains inside the frame. Now there rubber coated and to tight to bounce around! And I also put a pin hole in every link instead of every third. Just an option for you, I think it was cheaper also.
grin.gif

Ironwood or Madison B&C
If you want the original material...do a search on Ebay under black shrink tubing. There is a couple of guys listing the tubing for around $9 with the delivery charge it cost me around $12 to redo both chains. Worked very slick and easy to do by yourself. I bought an extra kit just so I'm ready to replace it next time.
beerchug.gif

The shrink tube you want is PVC shrink tube. It can be found at any electrical supply house (Van Meeter Electric).

Sounds like I got a good climber from Bass Pro.
I questioned the plastic coating around the chain when I bought it. I guess I won't worry about it until it wares off. Thanks for your comments on this stand. 7 months, 26 days & a little less than 16 1/2 hours til go time!
grin.gif

Top Bottom