Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Apple/Pear Trees

I wait to have them shipped till early spring. I graft the scions to the rootstock and store in a cold garage for them to callus over. They’re pulled out of the garage and planted in trays later in spring. They’re babysit till fall when I take them out to their permanent home.

Usually get 3-4’ of growth grafting in this manner.

a6abc70f7ed60c00bba080097db7902b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those look really nice. I'd like to get a couple years of growth on mine before I move them out to a permanent location. My biggest concern is if the roots would be able to withstand winter temps being above ground in a raised bed or pots. Most of the trees I've gotten bare root seem to be at the 2 year age and around 4ft size and topped off.

I pulled weeds from my tree cages last week in SE Ohio. Any recco.endation for type of mulch, does it matter? Is there any type I need to steer away from? Tired of my trees being over run with weeds

Where do you guys get your apple trees?

There's a pile of choices out there.

Probably the most highly sought after is Blue Hill. You have to be on line the day of ordering for most of the varieties.

I also like Whitetail Crabs, you can still get a lot of their varieties last I checked.

Century Farms has been good to me.

Along with Cummins

And 39th Parallel

39th is a go to for me for rootstocks and various scion woods.

There's tons of other options out there on top of what I've listed. These are just ones I know from personal experience.

Last edited:
The Lost Apple Project has their scions on sale now.

These are varieties that were thought to have been lost to time and re-discovered out west for the most part.

I went with desert+keeper options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Has anyone ever tried the Orange snow fence material for fencing them in? I was looking at TSC and this seemed to be a little bit cheaper and more budget friendly than the welded wire fencing.

Has anyone ever tried the Orange snow fence material for fencing them in? I was looking at TSC and this seemed to be a little bit cheaper and more budget friendly than the welded wire fencing.
I’ve tried it. It worked decent. The weeds came up and crowded the fruit trees tho.

It will work if you have to but I use the welded wire now. Works much better and I plan on leaving the fence around them for a decade.

For the experienced fruit tree growers, is stone around the base of the tree a necessity? My newly planted trees are fenced and screened, etc but I have not added stone. I am assuming this is for voles?

For the experienced fruit tree growers, is stone around the base of the tree a necessity? My newly planted trees are fenced and screened, etc but I have not added stone. I am assuming this is for voles?
Mulch, weed blanket, stone.

All to contain moisture and suppress weeds.

How do you all keep track of which variety of tree you plant? Seems like the tags come loose over time and blow away, or the sun fades the writing. My memory isn't good enough to keep track of the 30+ that I have planted (let alone replanting when I have to replace dead ones.)
Cheap trapping tags on the cages would be a good way I would think. I've never done this but have bought trap tags.

Top Bottom