Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Apple/Pear Trees

Paul- how have your trees from david osborn faired through the drought?

We had a neighbor water ours throughout summer and they have done well. I rarely if ever water trees (not enough time in the day and i don't think I have ever lost a tree to drought).

Thanks in advance and glad to see we got a good rain over the weekend.

Stephen

they have toughed it out Stephen...they should be good to go now...:way:

I just got a new strip of ground that needs a few apple trees. If you had your choice would you order now and try to plant in November or wait til spring? I will be reclaiming a mowed hay field. Thanks.

I just got a new strip of ground that needs a few apple trees. If you had your choice would you order now and try to plant in November or wait til spring? I will be reclaiming a mowed hay field. Thanks.

Fall is a great time to plant if you can!

Fall is a great time to plant if you can!

I'll second that!!! Planted most all of my apples in November/December and they are doing great.

The advantage to fall planting is they get more time to establish roots before summer stress hits. Make sure they are watered this fall if it is dry tho, that can kill seedlings before they can a chance to start growing by next spring.

Just placed an order at Burnt Ridge. Got Enterprise, Liberty, and Honeycrisp. Didn't say what size trees- any experience ordering from them?

bView attachment 1696
Yes...first class! :way::way:
Yes, all the work that Double Tree does for wildlife is first class. I have been reading and enjoying this forum for some time and recently traveled to The Wildlife Group (noted at the beginning of this forum) near Auburn, Alabama to pick up some fruit trees. Apple and pear trees in 7-gallon RootSaver pots are on the left and 15-gallon trees on the right. (not sure picture is going to appear!)

Trees 065.jpg
files
fruittrees11-2012036_zps69390aa8.jpg

files

Last edited:
View attachment 1696
Yes, all the work that Double Tree does for wildlife is first class. I have been reading and enjoying this forum for some time and recently traveled to The Wildlife Group (noted at the beginning of this forum) near Auburn, Alabama to pick up some fruit trees. Apple and pear trees in 7-gallon RootSaver pots are on the left and 15-gallon trees on the right. (not sure picture is going to appear!)

View attachment 1697
files

files

Welcome to IW and keep us posted on how your trees do! :way:

Rootsaver roots from http://wildlifegroup.com/index
You have to tear the Roottrapper container from the tree as they grow into the sides which seem like capillary matt
Trees084_zpsb21b2365.jpg

Trees083_zps5eb51dae.jpg

Trees077_zps3d97a2de.jpg

b
Trees080_zps81cec3f6.jpg

This may be a pear tree
Trees076_zps69188928.jpg

Trees073_zps56b26fbd.jpg

Fig in plastic pot with root circling:
Trees086_zps3e7c93e3.jpg

7 gallon trees
fruittrees11-2012041_zpsa045fb82.jpg

fruittrees11-2012038_zps7f4d8277.jpg

Finally, I planted a modified dbltree recipe:
rye grain, winter peas, red clover, crimson clover, white clover, yellow clover, and blue lupine plus lime and fertilizer. The http://www.sare.org/ web site (thanks for the link dbltree) has good info on cover crops.
11-29-2012003_zpse22f27e6.jpg

Just my experience, but I have had better luck with bare rooted trees, than from those in pots or containers. Burnt ridge is a quality outfit. I can testify to that.

My trees from burnt ridge were little unbranched twig whips but the roots looked good so hopefully they will take off this spring.

Best time to plant?

Dbltree,

When is the best time of year to plant apple trees? We're thinking of starting with a small order of 5 or so trees, but I didn't know what the best time for planting was?

Thanks.

Steve

Fall can be a good for extra time to get established before the summer months, but since fall is over, early spring is good. If in Iowa, April works good.
I plant all my special stuff in spring, winter is not kind in my area.

Dbltree,

When is the best time of year to plant apple trees? We're thinking of starting with a small order of 5 or so trees, but I didn't know what the best time for planting was?

Thanks.

Steve

As mentioned, spring and fall are both great times to plant but early April is when we typically plant our fruit trees...:way:

Good plan?

Dbltree,

I just ordered my first trees. After reading this entire thread I'm pretty excited about taking a shot at creating a small "orchard". I just wondered if I've got some of the right varieties (for both pollination and my location).

I was originally going to go with Goldrush, but after reading about Cedar Rust (and knowing that the area that I'm planting in is loaded with cedars), I decided to go with 5 Enterprise Trees and 5 Golden Delicious. I've been told that the Golden Delicious will be good pollinators for the Enterprise. I'm in Mid-Missouri.

Sound like a good plan?

Thanks!

Steve

For those it may interest there's going to be 4 fruit tree grafting workshops held by ISU extension around the state towards the end of march. Cost is $35 and includes a couple rootstocks and scions to graft and take home.

http://iowaproduce.org/

The property I bought this past year had an established orchard with about 20 fruit trees of different species/varieties. With the help of my brother in law, we pruned them and removed a few of the dead ones. I plan to plant 10 more apples trees there this spring in the gaps left by the dead trees we removed. I dug holes and added 10-10-10 fertilizer to the bottom of the holes, but the trees are not yet planted. Last night, I re-read this thread, and you wrote to NOT add fertilizer before you plant. Would it be a good idea to remove that fertilizer from those holes? Or will it not hurt anything? I have not done any soil tests.

Top Bottom