Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Approaching your stand

Willie

PMA Member
I'm hunting some new property this year and don't have the deer patterned well. Last night was my first night out and on the way in I bumped a mature doe less than 50 yds from my stand. I'm not sure if she was bedded or already feeding on the acorns but it was roughly 5:15 when I moved her. So my question is if you bump a deer approaching your stand will you choose another route the next time? I understand you should always be careful of the wind direction but without knowing where the deer movement is I'm not sure if I should mix up the approach or stay consistent. I've got four stands on this property and don't plan to hunt it too much before the end of October.

By the way, the skeeters were horrible last night especially at dusk. Banner year for them little dudes I'd say.

This is going to sound way over simplified, but here it goes...
grin.gif

Think eyes, ears and nose when making you way to your tree stand.

Eyes...are you making the best use of the cover/terrain features to hide your approach?

Ears...sometimes dry crunchy leaves make this really tough. I like to have trails made prior to season to make the approach as quiet as possible.

Nose...if at all possible make your approach with the wind in your face.

Timing...you may be able to adjust the time you go to your stand by entering earlier or later when the deer are less likely to be in the area.

Pace...I try to walk slow but steady...I think deer can often sense it if your trying to be sneaky. Have you ever walked by a deer looking at you and as soon as you stop they spook? Sometimes if you don't stop they will just watch you walk right by.

By the sounds of things, no approach would have eliminated you bumping that doe since she was so close to your stand already.

Thanks Ghost. I always try to use the path of least impact on my way to the stand. I just need some more experience in this area. I'm sure I was too late getting into my stand last night. I'm just going to use this year as a learning year and pattern the deer as best I can. I'll be checking out the article shortly!

I lost my hunting ground of 15 years to a lease. I haven't had to "pattern" deer for quite some time although there's a certain excitement that comes with hunting new ground. I am more excited about this year than I have been in years before.

As always...keeping the wind in your favor is a must. Also, if it is not possible to walk to your stand without making noise due to lots of leaves and such, it is helpful to try to mimic your movements to that of an animal or a deer. Ex: taking a few steps and stopping, making a few quick steps and stopping. Just try make yourself sound like a deer approaching.

Top Bottom