Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Archery Elk hunt- info needed

BDAHMS

Be here Now
I am looking at starting an anual DIY elk hunt in NW colorado for early-mid sept archery season and looking at over the counter units- I have been researching Northwest Colorado and was wondering if anyone has any insite on this area/ do's and donts for this kind of trip- any info is helpful!

I do know that a few of those units in the NW part of CO will take a newborn baby an entire lifetime to draw. There's some good OTC hunts around the state, but it'll take some time researching the endless amount of stats to figure out the right hunt for what you're looking for.

Might as well buy points and alternate... one year do a 1 point unit, the next do an OTC unit. Rinse, Repeat.

Why alternate? I buy a point each year and hunt the same year with a OTC tag. Hunt every year you want to OTC until you have enough points for your desired unit. I just reread what you said, that had me confused with a unit only asking for 1 point. As the unit I'm saving for requires 10 for archery.

Why alternate? I buy a point each year and hunt the same year with a OTC tag. Hunt every year you want to OTC until you have enough points for your desired unit. I just reread what you said, that had me confused with a unit only asking for 1 point. As the unit I'm saving for requires 10 for archery.

There's soooo many good units in CO requiring only 1 point. The Limited Entry units are just plain better than most OTC units. Granted, if you focus on one OTC unit year after year, and get away from the roads, you might be able to learn it good enough where that might be a decent approach. But, if he really wants to go on annual hunt, it makes the most sense (to me) to go the LE route as often as possible. An even better scenario would be to apply to a unit with a 50% draw rate for those holding 0 points. Then, if you don't draw, buy an OTC tag. I personally just hate the thought of an OTC tag when I'm gonna drive 15 hours to get there and then pay NR rates for a tag. I want to do everything I can to give myself the best hunt possible.

I assume you are saving for 40 or 76... both of which would be great hunts. In your situation, you probably only see yourself going on a big hunt once every 10 years or so. In that case, sure... save for those units. I just think that 10 years of saving points will go a lot further in other states (WY, AZ, NV for example. Or shoot for random draws in NM or MT). I'm guessing at some point during your 10 years, you're going to wish you could find out how good those 3 or 5 point units in CO are. Not only that, but with point creep, a unit that takes 10 points today will take 15 or more 10 years from now.

For me, I hold points in 3 states - WY, UT, and CO. Trying to take a good hunt every other year or so, I can hunt my 1-3 point units in CO while I'm saving points for a real good WY hunt (wolves and bears be changing that) or even better UT hunt. UT is my once-in-a-lifetime hunt that I'll draw before I'm retired if I'm really lucky. Why put all your eggs in one basket?

Last edited:
I completely get what your saying about the limited access units and I agree. The OTC unit I hunt, I have been to twice and have shot two elk. Granted both were cows, but being a flatlander and using a bow I was ok with that. I did have the herd bull(a300" 6x6) at thirty yards last year two yards on the other side of the fence I couldn't hunt. That was so awesome and disappointing at the same time. You can get it done in these OTC units but you better have good boots to get away from other people. Good luck. Yep 76

Having just moved from SW CO last year, I am partial to our OTC units (72,73,74,75,751). I lived there for 6 years and killed an elk every year (biggest bull was just over 300", and even the "bonus" kitty in my avatar). Wherever you decide to go, get to know the unit you hunt, scout, get off the main roads, and the best advise of all; get to know the locals! I can't tell you how many out-of-staters I would see chasing after elk that were long gone out from the area, not to be seen again until spring.

Now Iowa hunting, this perplexes me! Most definitely not working out to be everything I have heard it was! Deer numbers seem horribly low. Don't get me wrong, I'm ok with working my butt off to hunt a big buck, but going all season without seeing anything close to a shooter bites. I have never hunted this hard to be so unsuccessful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom