Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Archery Question for Longbeards

cdpurcell

Recently I bought a bow for my wife and was hoping she could join me for the spring turkey hunt.

My question is what is the legal draw weight for spring turkey hunting?? It seems like it is 45 for deer hunting but I not sure what it is for turkey hunting. I have been told 30 should be enough however they were not sure what the legal limit was. Any how any help would be great!! Thanks!!

Yeah, no legal limit for bowhuntin turks though I'd recommend at least 40#. I watched Jay Gregory's kid shoot a bird and he couldn't have been shooting much more than 40-45# and he got "OK" penetration on the bird.

I am thinking that a fix 2 bladed broadhead will work and I would like her shots to be no farther than 15 yards.

I have some Gold Tip 55/75 XP arrows I thought would work for her however she will be only shooting 43"

Any thoughts??

I think you'll be fine with that set up. I wouldn't be surprised if the arrow passed through either. My first deer I shot with fixed 4 blade @ 40# and it went through. Good luck.

My first deer was similar to Muddy's setup, 42# shooting a fixed 3 blade. Got a complete pass thru at 20yds. I don't think she will have any problems on a turk.

good luck
Kratz

I would add that maybe a 3 or 4 bladed head would be better. It'd add a little more weight but that won't hurt a thing.

Yeah, no legal limit for bowhuntin turks though I'd recommend at least 40#. I watched Jay Gregory's kid shoot a bird and he couldn't have been shooting much more than 40-45# and he got "OK" penetration on the bird.

he was probably using a rage broadhead, not greatest on penetration. especially with lower poundage i would assume.

That sounds good I was just a little worried but sounds like it will work. I found a 2 blade that looks like this.

171513_ts.jpg

This is what I was thinking and I have thought about a three blade. I was thinking the Montec Striker but wasn't sure if that would be a good one or not. Just worried about penetration.

I think you'll be fine with any 2, 3, or 4 bladed fixed bladed head so long as arrow placement is good to go.

Or, shoot a bullhead and you don't have to worry about penetration. Doesn't take much with those to chop the head/break the neck. :way:

I don't believe you will have to worry to much about penetration with that set up, I would probably go with a 3 or 4 blade fixed head. The extra weight wont hurt you at all, it will probably help get more penetration. I always prefer my arrow to stay in my Turks so they cant fly away. If you get a complete pass thru they always seem to fly away and flying turks dont leave much of a blood trail. All in all you just have to experiment a little, let her fling a few arrows at some turkeys and see what works best for her set up. You can convince into a little extra hunting time by telling her it is an experimental test with her set up. Good luck this season and enjoy.

Limb, have you shot a bullhead? How well do they fly?

Yes, I used one on my the last bird I shot last year and they are a riot. They will probably be the only thing in my quiver this year. I had an under-spined arrow that flew good out to 25 years. I just ordered the Victory arrows that have 4, 4 inch feathers designed for these heads and are suppose to have good flight out to 50 according to the video I watched but out to 30 to 35 will be satisfactory for me. :way:

Limb, did you ever use the GG head? If so does the bullhead fly better?

I have not but don't want to fool with the straws and the bullheads have a no questions asked lifetime warranty that I experienced first hand when I ordered my arrows. I told them I had to send them a bullhead that broke at the threads and Diane told me don't bother she will throw one in with the arrows... :way:

I am real close to a rack pack as well. I love the Double Bull magnum chair but that darn rack pack seat with the head rest looks like the bugs ear.

Top Bottom