Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Arctic Shield vs. Cabelas

K

Kat

I’m looking at buying some really warm gloves (I get cold easily,) and was thinking about the Arctic Shield system - http://shop.store.yahoo.com/archery-experts/arshsygl.html but then saw these in Cabelas - cabelas windstopper glommits I like how the Cabelas gloves are scent control and that when the mitten part folds back it is held in place with magnets (quiet) instead of Velcro (loud.) I think the Arctic Shield are probably warmer, but regardless I will most likely need to use handwarmers in them when it gets really cold, as my hands get cold easily. I don’t want them to be too bulky because it’s really hard to shoot with bulky gloves on, and I want my release to fit over the glove. Do you guys have any insights or experiences with either or both of these, or a better suggestion? Thanks.
smile.gif

I wear pretty thin gloves while hunting, even in cold temps but suffer from previous cold weather injuries that really play havoc on my hands....my solution--> cabelas MT050
I can keep my handwarmer packets inside and keep my hands in there until I need to grab my bow. My hands have not been cold while hunting since I have used this thing

I have the Artic Shield boot inslulators and they are probably the best thing I have ever owned for hunting equipment. I think its impossible to get cold in those things. I believe the gloves are made of the same material. I plan to buy some this year.

Kat,
Like Shredder mentioned, when used along with a pair of chemical hand warmers (Hot Hands) the MTO50 handmuff
keeps my hands plenty warm. I've had mine for several years and wear only a pair of thin thermastat or wool liner gloves while on stand. It's been a great combination, especially since I don't think I could shoot my bow efficiently with a thick pair of gloves or mittens on.

I also have the Arctic Shield boot blankets (thin style)...could be the best investment I ever made
grin.gif

I've got an Artic Shield hand muff and after the season last year I picked up a case of those "Hot Hands" chemical hand warmers really cheap at Wal-Mart. Unless it's bitterly cold, I think my hands can stand being out in the elements long enough to take a shot.

Thanks guys. Those handwarmer muffs are great, I should of mentioned that I use one with the chemical heat warmers and thin gloves as well. My concern is when it’s bitter cold and there are deer coming in, or hanging up, or just taking their sweet time and you have to have your bow ready. Or during prime times when they could show up any minute and you want to be holding your bow. Like I’ve mentioned before, I lost the biggest buck of my life last year because I wasn’t ready, and I guess that still gets to me...
wall.gif

Kat,

I have the older style Cabela's windstopper glomets. They are great. They are not as bulky as other name brands and warmer. Not to mention quiet material and don't pick up stuff like my other fleece ones. Believe they are waterproof also. I saw these and thought they would be nice, but there is nothing wrong with my old ones. I have a muff like mentioned, but only use it during extreme cold of late musket - that is if it gets to be that cold. Mine have bare fingers exposed when I pull the mitten off - which I like to feel the release with. Works great for me. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jhtml?id=0017262921323a&navAction=push&navCount=2&indexId=&podId=0017262&catalogCode=QR&parentId=&parentType=&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=search&hasJS=true

Kat:

Here's an idea: If you went with the Arctic Shield glo-mitts, you could take off the velcro tabs and replace them with magnets that are sewn into little pouches of camo fabric. Then all you'd have to do is sew the magnet pouches to the glo-mitt. I think you can pick up little round magnets and most craft store. The glo-mitts would then be quiet, plus you'd have the option of using the hardwarmer inserts. It would take a little work, but you'd have the best of both worlds that way. Just a thought.

Well that’s an idea NW, but that means I would have to sew...
wtf.gif
tongue.gif

I do like how the whole mitten comes off with the Arctic Shield, and it looks like you could put your release on over the inner glove and the trigger will stick out through the outer glove. I would have to practice with them on to see how well it would work.
smile.gif

Hi Kat,

I have both and personally feel you'd be happiest with the Arctic Shield system. You're dead-on about your release fitting better with the inner glove and over mitten.

What I sometimes do for those waits when an animal comes in slow to keep my hands warm, is keep the glove/mitten on my bow hand and just the liner glove on my shooting hand (I'm a finger-shooter) tucked inside a muff. That way my bow hand never gets cold and I can take out my shooting hand when it's time to shoot and have warm, yet still dexterious fingers. Shooting a release, I'm sure you'd have no problem without the muff- just wearing the glomitts.

Here's a place having a great sale on the Arctic Shield line if you decide to go with them: (They come in Men's sizes only, but a small should fit you I would guess)
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.27088/dept_id./qx/product.htm

Good luck with what ever you choose, and I almost envy the buck you get to wrap your "hot little hands" around this Fall!!
smirk.gif

(I say almost because he will be too DEAD to enjoy it!)

Have Fun & Hunt Safe,

>>--Ron--<>

Good link, Stickbow. Heck, at that price, I might pick up a pair myself.

Sierra Trading post gets some good stuff at great prices. It's one of those places that only gets limited quantities, though, so when they're gone, they're gone!

Yeah, the Arctic Shield stuff is good stuff, and this is a great sale. I picked up a pair of 2XL Bibs for $70.00!! That saved me $45.00 right there!
I also invested in an EXTRA pair of the GloMitts- (Anything I really like I always try to get at least 2 of before they change or discontinue 'em)
Ya snooze, Ya lose....that stuff will go fast at those prices, no doubt.

>>--Ron--<>

Good thread! I must have the wimpiest circulation in my extremities, as I suffer from cold hand and feet too
frown.gif

Of course, if I'm seeing deer, the cold doesn't bother me all that much...
grin.gif

avid,

it's a whole lot easier to overlook a "minor" thing like frozen fingers and toes when there's antlers in sight!! lol!

Have Fun, Hunt Safe, (and stay WARM)

>>--Ron--<>

Well, I just ordered the Arctic Shied system glommits from Sierra Trading. I also got the boot blankets (29.95) and they also had an Arctic Shield insulated neck warmer gaiter thingy for 12.95 so I got that too. I’m going to be toasty this fall.
smile.gif
Bring on the cold weather!
peace.gif

Man,

What an Ego boost....now I can say I'm making women "HOT" all across the country!!
cool.gif
lol!!

Seriously Kat, I hope you're happy with your purchases and this years tale will be about the monster you "Out-witted and OUT-LASTED" no matter how harsh the conditions.

(Sounds a little like Whitetail "Survivor")
grin.gif

Have Fun & Hunt WARM,
>>--Ron--<>

Top Bottom