Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

arrow flight

H

HIGH COUNTRY

I'm using 125 grain field tips to practice and have been shooting really good. I tried a couple of practice broadheads and they are flying low and left about 6-8 inches. I know the wieghts are the same. Could it be the drag off the broadhead slowing the arrow down? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
High Country

are you shooting fixed blade or mechanical? If your shooting fixed blade, it sounds like they are just planeing out more.

I'm shooting fixed blades. I've thought of trying a smaller broadhead to see if it will fly straighter. Visually it looks like the arrow is going slower with the broadheads than the field tips. Thanks 180class for your reply.

Are the broadheads spinning true on the shaft.. ie. put the tip on a hard surface and spin the shaft... there should be NO noticeable wobble.. if so then the broadheads are not straight... what brand of broadhead are you shooting?

If you're shooting the same grain of broadhead as you were field tips, you shouldn't be losing any FPS. Have you evey tried mechanicals. It's purely a preference, but I love em and I've found that they are the only broadhead that actually flies exactly like my field tips. Just something you may want to consider.

Generally, in most cases, you should be able to tune your bow in well enough to make your field tips and broadheads hit in the same place. First start off by making sure your bow is paper tuned well, you might need to go to your local pro shop to enlist some help if your not really all that familiar with adjusting your rest and or nocking point. Start off there and then test your broadheads/field points again.

If you download the Easton Tuning guide from their website it goes into great detail on paper tuning, walkback tuning, and broadhead tuning. You may find this addresses your situation. I had good luck with it. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for your help!! I'll be able to do some testing this weekend. Plan to check my camera for pictures too.

Cornfed is right on about this. Make sure your BH are spinning true. This is key in fixed BH flight. Dont worry about your blades lining up with your fletching, just make sure no wobble coming from the blades.
Also you might find out that it is just your form that is screwing you up because your fixed BH will amplify your problems and do not correct themselves as easy as a Mechanical or Field Point. You have the slightest bow torque and you will be all over the place like I was.
I talked to a great gentleman in St.Joe MO about form and my field tips were dead on then I put my 4 blade fixed BH and I was 3 inches low and 6 inches to the right. All he did was make a adjustment with hand position on the bow and wow what a difference that made. Just that slight bow torque made that big of a difference. All this happened after we paper tuned it also.
Good luck

Some will say that if the broadheads are grouping OK, who cares. They say to just move your sights to where the broadheads are hitting. Others will say that to adjust and correct what you mention, it is flying low and left because it is leaving the bow with the broadhead too far low, and to the left. To correct, you should move your rest a bit up and to the right. The point of impact should change for both the field points and for the broadhead but should be closer or the same. Keep moving the rest in the opposite direction of where your broadheads hit compared to the field points until they hit the same spot, and then set your sights. At least, that is how I remember it. Proper spin matters a little and proper bow tune matters an awful lot so start there.

Could be that the "front of center" changed with the longer broadheads on the shaft.

This is what I do and even though it's sounds dumb, it works for me. I practice with 125 grain target points and shoot a 100 grain fixed, cut on impact broadheads. I don't change a thing on my set-up or sight and the fly the same like bullets. It's a beautiful thing!

I have tried many many broadheads & taken deer with all of them but I did have to re-set my pins most of the time until I accidently tried my current set-up with a great flying & hunting broadhead that's awesome.

All you guys have awesome info. I didn't get a chance to try anything this weekend but will soon. I was thinking on the same page as 203ntyp. The weight might be towards the front of the arrow to much. I may try a lighter fixed blade or the mechanical. I will also try different hand positions and form. Thanks to everyone, you guys are great!!
HIGH COUNTRY

The only place you should put your hand is on your "lifeline" I have no pictures so I will try and explain it. If you make a "V" with your thumb and index finger and put that "V" on your bow grip and then drop your hand staight down, your index finger should be around a 45 degree angle to your grip. This will feel very awkword at first but after a few shots it will become normal, I after getting the correct grip have noticed less fatigue in my arm also. I am now out to 60 yrds and hope to get to 80 yrds or more, it sure has made a difference to me. I hope I explained it well enough. If not please PM me and I will try again.

Experimented this weekend with several broadheads from wallyworld. The mechanical did worse but the little head on the eastman titanium blades did perfect. Straight as can be with no wobble. I guess it was the bigger blades making the arrow plain out. I was shooting a 4 inch group at 35 yards. Not bad for me.

Top Bottom